Saturday, January 20, 2024

Saturday 9: Young Girl

Saturday 9: Young Girl (1968)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) The song is about a girl who is too young for romance. How old were you when your parents allowed you to date?

A. I was told I wouldn't be allowed to date until I was 16, but I went to the prom when I was 15 (I would turn 16 the next month). 

2) Lead singer Gary Puckett mentions the girl's perfume. What scent do you wear most often?

A. I don't wear scents. Everything I own and everything that I buy is unscented. Unscented shampoo, unscented detergent, unscented soap.

3) "Young Girl" reached #2 on the charts and stayed there for three weeks, but it never hit #1. It was stuck behind Otis Redding's "(Sittin' on) The Dock of the Bay." Are you competitive by nature? Or would you be satisfied doing well, but not being #1?

A. I am competitive but not to the point of making a big deal out of it. I'm ok with not being #1 (so long as I'm not last).

4) The Union Gap got together in San Diego, California's second most populated city. Have you ever visited California? If yes, where did you go?

A. I visited California in 1977. My father, mother, brother, grandmother, two young uncles and I drove across the U.S. to California to visit my other set of grandparents. We were in a van. It was a long, cramped trip. I was 13. We were in some flat state like Kansas when we heard on the radio that Elvis Presley had died.

5) The Union Gap performed at a White House state dinner for special guests Prince Charles and Princess Anne. Some in attendance that night maintain that President Nixon seemed to be playing matchmaker that night between the Prince and his daughter, Tricia. Have you ever tried to fix people up? If yes, did romance result?

A. I have not meddled in other people's lives, at least, not with any intent.

6) After six Top 20 hits in three years, the Union Gap disbanded. Today Gary Puckett tours as a solo artist on the "oldies circuit" with Peter Noone of the Herman's Hermits. Without looking it up, can you name any of the Herman's Hermits hits?

A. Mrs. Brown you have a lovely daughter. Isn't that one of theirs? 

7) In 1968, when "Young Girl" was a hit, Jacqueline Kennedy married Aristotle Onassis. Think about the last wedding you attended. Were you closer to the bride or groom?

A. I haven't been to a wedding in years. I was probably closer to the groom as he would have been a firefighter with my husband.

8) Also in 1968, the most popular movie in theaters was Funny Girl, starring Barbra Streisand. What's the last movie you watched?

A. Role Play, which is an Amazon movie staring Kaley Cuoco that I do not recommend, unless you just want to kill an hour and a half or so. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great, either.

9) Random question -- Come clean: Right now are there more dishes in your sink or clothes in your hamper?

A. Clothes in the hamper, but they will all be washed up by the end of the day. I try to get all of that stuff caught up when we're expecting frigid weather in case the power goes out. I like clean undies.

_______________

I encourage you to visit the posts of other participants in Saturday 9 and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however. 


7 comments:

  1. Definitely the clothes hamper. Living in the camper right now, we do dishes after every meal as there is no room to leave them in the sink. Laundry, however, only gets done once a week when we go to the laundromat. Tomorrow is that day in fact, so the hamper is full to the brim!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, "Mrs. Brown" is a Hermits song. When I was a little girl, I thought it was the saddest song ever! I've seen promos for "Role Play" and I admit I'm not even curious (though I think Kaley Cuoco is charming). Good to know I'm not missing anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Mrs. brown is one of theirs,

    That trip sounds …cramped. Did you enjoy it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. #3 Ditto
    #7 The in between years, friends are all married, nieces and nephews are all married, now it is just waiting for the grand nieces and nephews to get married.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Note to self...skip Role Play. Not that it was on my radar, anyway. I hope you don't have any trouble from the cold weather.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really need to do laundry this weekend! It's cold, so I don't want to go to the laundromat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you remember anything else about California? What city did you visit? We saw Oppenheimer today. It was interesting but a bit hard to follow. We wanted to see it at the movie theater, but it was not at any local theaters. I like your winter header, Anita!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.