Saturday, October 15, 2022

Saturday 9: Potential New Boyfriend


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) The lyrics tell us Dolly Parton has spotted a fella who twisted her ignition key and turned her motor on. That was in 1983. Keys are less common today, since many cars are equipped with push button ignitions and more doors now open for those who know the keypad code or have the right swipe card. What's the last thing you used a key to start or unlock?

A. A door to a house.
 
2) Her potential new boyfriend bought her a drink, and she thanked him real sweet. Have you more recently said "thank you," or been thanked yourself?

A. I thanked my husband for his assistance in making the bed.

3) This is Dolly's first music video. "Potential New Boyfriend" was a top 20 country hit and made #13 Billboard's Dance chart, yet it's not well remembered today. Share a song from one of your favorite artists that the rest of us Sat 9-ers might not know.

A. Melissa Etheridge, The Weakness in Me



4) This is not Dolly's first song about a romantic rival. Her hit "Jolene" was inspired by a bank teller who regularly flirted with Dolly's real (not potential!) husband, Carl Dean. Have you recently fallen victim to the green-eyed monster of jealousy? If yes, what were you jealous of (someone's affections, possessions, success ...)?

A. I am sometimes jealous of other writer's work. Actually, I suppose it is more their success than their writing, but sometimes I am also jealous of their writing ability.
 
5) Dolly enjoys telling interviewers she met Carl at the Wishy-Washy Laundromat in Nashville. Do you have a hamper full of dirty clothes awaiting you? Or are you all caught up with that particular household chore?

A. I have laundry awaiting me, I'm afraid.
 
6) Dolly Parton's Imagination Library makes free books available to children. It was begun in 1995, and by 2020, her charity had distributed 150,000,000 books! When you were a very young reader, what was your favorite book?

A. Miss Osborne the Mop, by Wilson Gage, when I was about 8 or so, was a favorite. I don't recall a favorite from when I was younger; I read everything I could get my hands on.

7) Andy Warhol was fascinated by Dolly. When he asked her what her perfect meal would include, she responded it would have to start with chicken and dumpling soup. How would you have answered Andy? What's your perfect dinner menu?

A. If I could eat tomato products again, honestly a good plate of spaghetti would be wonderful.

8) Thinking of chicken ... In 1983, when this song was popular, McDonald's introduced McNuggets. Today, it's one of McDonald's most popular menu items. Are you a fan?

A. I do not eat at McDonald's. Nor do I eat chicken nuggets.
 
9) Random question: Would you rather visit a desert or a jungle?

A. Who doesn't want dessert? Oh . . . desert. Not that one. Let's go to the jungle where at least I might find water and something to eat.

_______________
I encourage you to visit the posts of other participants in Saturday 9 and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.  

6 comments:

  1. #3 What a nice song!
    #4 Instead of getting jealous of other photographs I look at them and wonder how I can improve on it.
    #9 I made the same mistake at first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #7...it is getting hard for me to eat red sauce. I still can for now, but sometimes it makes me sick. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your answer to #9. Made me laugh out loud actually. The only thing about laundry that bothers me is folding it or untangling it to wash.. Yuk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed the Melissa Etheridge song very much! And if I haven't commented about your gorgeous header photos--well they're lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love spaghetti and make it at least once every other week. I never got why people go out to eat it when it's so simple to make. If I go out, I want something special that I don't usually make it. I get why you would want it, though. As for laundry...is there such a thing as done? I swear the stuff breeds in the hamper.

    ReplyDelete

  6. We changed sheets yesterday, too. I told Mr. Z that I didn't know how much longer I could get that dratted fitted sheet down over the corner of the mattress!
    I love Melissa Etheridge's voice and style. Great choice. Lol! Dessert, Desert. heehee ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.