Saturday, August 21, 2021

Saturday 9: Woman In Love


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) In this song, Barbra dreams of love. What's something you've been dreaming of, or wishing for, lately? (It doesn't have to be romantic.)

A. I'd like to remodel my office. Mostly the floor needs to be replaced. It is parquet wood that we put down over 20 years ago, and it is coming apart. But it would be quite a chore since my office is full of books, bookcases, musical instruments, filing cabinets, and a massive desk. I don't expect it will happen soon, if ever. Maybe a good throw rug . . .

2) She sings that she and her lover are oceans apart. Tell us about someone who is far away, and that you wish was nearer this Saturday morning.

A. I have someone who is actually not that far away from me physically but who is lost to me in other ways. I'd like to have that person back.
 
3) This was a #1 hit for Streisand, so popular it knocked Queen's "Another One Bites the Dust" out of the top spot on the charts. Are you a Freddie Mercury/Queen fan?

A. I like some Queen songs but I am not a die-hard fan. I like their hits but I haven't heard every song on their albums. Some album cuts that I have heard I've not been particularly impressed by.

4) This song was written specifically for Barbra by Barry and Robin Gibb of the BeeGees. During the late 1970s, when the BeeGees were riding high on the success of the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack, she let them know she was a fan and would love to record one of their songs. The collaboration went so well that they ended up writing not one but nearly a dozen songs for her. Tell us about something that went way better for you than you predicted it would.

A. When I decided to go back to college, I was 22 years old. It took me eight years to get my 4-year degree because I was working mostly full time and/or sick a lot of the time. I had to drop out several times because of major surgeries. There were times I despaired of ever finishing, but I did just before I turned 30. Later, I went back and finished up my masters degree before I turned 50. Maybe I'll have my Ph.D. by the time I'm 70. Ha.

5) Barbra traveled to Miami Beach to record this song in Barry's favorite studio. Have you ever been to Miami Beach?

A. No, I have not.
 
6) Barbra went to Erasmus Hall High School in Brooklyn. She had a mad crush on one of her classmates. That boy was Bobby Fischer, who grew up to be an international chess champion. Do you remember one of your big high school crushes? Do you know whatever became of him or her?

A. I went to the prom with a boy named Mike. He went into the Army. I did not hear from him or of him for a very long time, and then in 2012 I learned that he had been injured in a wreck in a fire truck in the Richmond area. I never did learn how he fared after the accident. I was surprised he was a firefighter. Apparently I was destined to date guys who wanted to be firemen.

7) Barbra is responsible for the Barbra Streisand Women's Heart Center at Cedars-Sinai. It's dedicated to the study of heart disease, its impact on women, and the search for more effective treatment. If you could fund a not-for-profit, as Barbra has done, what cause would you champion?

A. I would build a big library and have an entire section set aside for feminist literature to help women grow and become the humans they are meant to be. And then I'd have another section to promote literacy, and employee teachers to help folks learn to read and write. Something like 14% of the population cannot read. I'd like to knock that number down to zero.
 
8) In 1980, when "Woman in Love" was popular, Macaulay Culkin was born. He's best known for the Home Alone movies. Have you seen them? If yes, did you enjoy them?

A. I have seen them. I can't say I enjoyed them. 

9) Random question: On social media, people keystroke LOL all the time. When is the last time you literally laughed out loud?

A. I have friends I talk to on the phone during the week. We always laugh a lot.

_______________
I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however. 

7 comments:

  1. I have the same carpet running from the living room into the den and down the hall to the master bedroom. I would love, love, love to replace it. But I have too much stuff and clutter. When I fantasize about the lottery, I imagine I'll have time/money to rid myself and organize and then move out for several days while the carpet is pulled up and replaced with tile. Sigh. I'd better buy myself a lotto ticket!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's nothing quite like laughing with good friends or family. I love laughing--it's one of my favorite things about teaching--we laugh every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely understand your problem with replacing the floor in your office. A rug sounds like a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot what I wanted and that is new white paint on the kitchen cabinets! Can you get your PHD online? My friend just did. I guess firemen were in your life path. A library is always a good thing! I hope to go this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd go with a throw rug. My office was first my son's bedroom and teenage boys are not neat and frankly kind of gross. Then it was my daughter's room for 10 years or so and she was not neat, either. Too say the carpet is long past its prime is an understatement. I put an area rug on top of it and then one of those plastic floor thingies so my desk chair will still roll...cause there is no way I am emptying all those bookshelves, my desk, and the closet that holds all my craft and gift wrapping supplies unless I can pay someone to do it all for me and I can just come home and it's magically done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope #2 happens for you. You never know. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.