Saturday, March 13, 2021

Saturday 9: Too Ra Loo

Saturday 9: Too Ra Loo Ra Loo Ral (1944)
 
Selected because this Wednesday is St. Patrick's Day.

Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it here.
   
1) Bing Crosby sings that he learned this song from his mother. Can you recall a song from your early childhood?

A. My grandmother used to sing Daisy, Daisy to me when she was fixing a boo boo or rocking me to sleep. I had the pleasure of singing it to my great niece back before the pandemic struck - she was not yet one - and watching her eyes light up and the rest of her calm down while I sang it to her.

2) Bing was NBC's first choice to play TV's Columbo. He turned down the role because, by that time, he was in his 60s and just didn't feel like working a full week anymore. Peter Falk eventually got the part and played Det. Columbo for 10 seasons. Do you enjoy detective stories, whether on TV, in movies or in books?

A. As long as they aren't overly gory or explicitly sexual, I like them. I prefer something along the line of Sue Grafton's books as opposed to Patricia Cornwell, whose books are a bit gruesome for me.

3) Bing could trace his family back to County Cork. While it's said that on St. Patrick's Day everyone is Irish, can you honestly claim Irish heritage?

A. I was always told we came from Ireland, but when my brother did his DNA with Ancestry, it came back as being 53% Great Britain and only 13% Ireland/Scotland/Wales. So there is some there, but it's not as much as I thought.

4) Other than St. Patrick, what is Ireland famous for?

A. Druids.

5) "The wearing o' the green" is one way to celebrate St. Patrick's Day. Will you wear something green in honor of the day?

A. If I remember it's St. Patrick's Day.

6) Have you ever had green beer?

A. No. I don't drink beer.

7) Have you ever ordered a Shamrock Shake from McDonald's?

A. No. I don't eat at McDonald's.

8) A four-leaf clover is considered good luck. Do you have a lucky charm?

A. No. I once found multiple four-leaf clovers every time I went outside, but I stopped looking for them and now I don't see them. But I have no lucky charm, no idol to get me through tough times.

9) Speaking of Lucky Charms, they are magically delicious.  What brand of cereal is in your kitchen right now?

A. Honey Nut Cheerios and Kellogg's Frosted Flakes.



This question reminded me of this clip. I think Jeff Dunham is a misogynistic jerk, but he's still funny sometimes.

______________

I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however. (#380)

10 comments:

  1. I'm with you on not eating at McDonald's, it is on my list of last resorts of places to eat on the road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff Dunham cracks me up. He came here on tour, but it was so expensive to see him we had to pass. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend and Happy St. Patrick's Day!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Patricia Cornwall (or DID when her books were good, which they no longer are) Having worked in medical offices for so many years, I really enjoy all the descriptions.

    I never thought of druids! good answer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your "Daisy, Daisy" story.

    I gave up on Cornwell, too. Too gruesome and a bit too ridiculous. Which is too bad, because I really *like* Kay Scarpetta. I just wish her creator did better by her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. On DNA: Ancestry screwed up the Enf=glish/Irish/Scottish thing. If he rechecks (on the site it's free) he might see it fixed. Mine came back 15% Irish 35% English. I recently checked and now it says 50% Irish...

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are some crime novels in which I don't mind the gruesome, technical stuff all that much, but for whatever reason I have never really liked Patricia Cornwell's books. Maybe because I just didn't find Kay Scarpetta a very likeable character?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to quit reading Elizabeth George because of the story lines. Brutal.
    I won't eat at McDonalds anymore either.
    We share some Maternal ancestry, my mother is one quarter McCoy. And the same for a Welsh coal miner named Wilkes. The rest is English aristocracy, and they've never let anyone forget it. Snobs in other words.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember reading Ellery Queen, Nancy Drew, Trixie Belden and other stories when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I use to love to eat Frosted flakes with bananas. I like Chocolate flavored Rice Krispies too. I would stir it us to drink the chocolate milk. Then eat the rest. No more sugar cereals for me now.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.