Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Pandemic Journal - Day 354

I haven't written an update about the dampandemic since December. We're nearly at a year since things turned topsy-turvy. I suppose it actually is beyond a year since the first cases were diagnosed and people died from it.

The biggest change is that we have an administration in place that takes this seriously, one that expects and encourages masks, social distancing, and hand washing. Additionally, three different vaccines are now available, though in short supply and hard to come by.

The numbers peaked as expected in the colder months and are on the decline, but Virginia's governor has said he will keep his current measures in place through the end of this month, at least.

We have stayed home as much as humanly possible. I seldom go in a grocery store, opting instead for pickups where I choose my food online and then the store personnel deliver it to the trunk of my car.

I still wipe down my groceries.

I still have a pair of shoes specifically for wearing out in public.

I still change clothes when I come in after I've been out.

I still have a Covid coat that I wear when I go out. It is washable and thus easily taken care of if someone breathes on me.

We have not eaten in a restaurant since this began, so almost a year. I think it was about 8 months before I went beyond the county line and into the city.

What many people don't realize is that I have been stuck at home since November 22, 2019, when my husband had his ankle fusion. I was home nursing him, although I could go out to the grocery store and shop and didn't have to worry about wiping things down or changing my shoes. 

About the time he was up around and walking, contemplating a return to the fire department and his job as a battalion chief, the pandemic hit. He retired.

So this change for me has been long. I know many people have had to adjust to spending time with significant others that they normally did not. For many months, I missed those nights at home alone, when I could stay up reading until the week hours of the morning. But I have adjusted and we are more in sync on our hours.

I have become better at simply disappearing into my office when I need my alone time, leaving him to entertain himself. For a while I felt like I had to be on call for him constantly, but that has eased. Part of that was his ankle surgery, but a lot of it was simply me feeling ill at ease at having him peering over my shoulder more than I was used to.

My health as far as colds and sinus infections has been better since we have had the mask mandate in place. I intend to continue to wear one when I am in public. I don't care what people think about it.

The ulcer in my stomach came from out of nowhere, but perhaps the stress of the pandemic and all the changes in the last year contributed. At least it led to a weight loss, so yay for that. Too bad the weight loss stopped when I finally received medication for the ulcer.

At least the weight's not going up, but I am also not eating well yet. Many foods are off the table for me for the time being.

Coming up with something for dinner was hard before the ulcer; now it's nigh impossible to move beyond chicken, rice, and peas.

What I wouldn't give for a slice of pizza!

The light at the end of the tunnel as far as the pandemic is brightening. The virus will eventually be tamed, we will have our vaccines, and we will return to a semblance of normal. However, normal wasn't working for everyone, so I don't want to go all the way back to pre-pandemic normal.

I want a better normal for everyone, not simply a wealthy few.


3 comments:

  1. I like my space too. Stress does mess with us physically. I got really bad acid reflux because of a really stressful time. I had to change my diet and lost too much muscle. Then prior to the elections, I was feeling anxious and had to stop watching news. I still try not to watch much news and spend less time on social media. But I do like to blog. Pizza does sound good, but the tomato sauce is bad and he carbs way to high. I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes there is light starting to shine. We get our second vaccine on Saturday. I go out about twice a week. I wear a 4 layer mask. I have a friend that is a teacher and did all the right things. Schools opened up last Monday and by Friday she was feeling sick... Covid. But she had her vaccines and she says her symptoms are mild. I wonder how many other teachers will get sick. I bet your husband was glad he retired!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Susan, I have cut way back on social media, which is actually a good thing. Trump folks were hanging out waiting to start an argument with anybody. If I said something about getting the vaccine, one of my trump relatives would comment, "I'm not getting the vaccine." Why was that something they felt they had to tell me? Then one "friend" started putting a person who had a baby'shaving him peering over my shoulder more than I was used to.arms and legs growing out of her head; I unfriended that guy, about the 4th time he did it. I tend to take things personally that aren't even directed at me, so I'm a mess anyhow. I could relate to your "having him peering over my shoulder more than I was used to." I finally turned our spare bedroom into my She-room. Cliff has always known what a loner I am, but it took him some getting used to it. Now the weather is nicer and he is going outside a lot more, giving me space. I hate having him ask questions about something I'm cooking and making comments like, "I didn't know you had to do that..." or "so THAT'S how you do that!" In fact, the other day I told him I wasn't going to make any more cookies until he gets out of the house for awhile. I hate cooking when he's waiting and watching. I love my husband, but I need my space.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.