Saturday, March 07, 2020

Saturday 9: Bye, Bye Blackbird

Saturday 9: Bye, Bye Blackbird (1957)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) In this song, Julie London complains about all the "hard luck stories" people are handing her. Did you more recently listen to someone else's problems, or share your own?

A. I think it was a mutual whine session.

2) She promises to arrive "late tonight." What time do you think is too late to drop in on someone?

A. I don't generally drop in on people, but I wouldn't drop in on anyone after 7:30 p.m.

3) Julie's nickname was "The Liberty Girl" because she was Liberty Records' first successful artist. The second was singer-songwriter David Seville, who had a couple novelty hits as "The Chipmunks." There were three singing chipmunks. Without looking it up, can you name them?

A. Alvin . . . and two others.

4) Julie's love of music was shared by her mother.When Julie was a little girl, mother and daughter would listen to Billie Holiday records together. What recordings did you enjoy when you were very young?

A. My parents listened to country music, so I grew up listening to Dolly Parton, Elvis, and Johnny Cash. My brother and I also had children's albums we liked. We had a Disney one that had the song "So Dear to My Heart" on it - maybe that was the name of the album, I don't remember. It had a song "Lavender Blue, Dilly Dilly, Lavender Green, when you are queen, Dilly Dilly, I'll be your king."

5) She began modeling when she 17. Julie was working as an elevator operator when a talent agent saw her and decided she would photograph well. With the advent of push-button elevators, elevator operator is a job that doesn't exist anymore. Can you think of another job that was once common but now is rare (or non-existent)?

A. Telephone operator. Stenographer. Copy editor.

6) Julie recorded more than 30 albums and was named "most popular female vocalist" by Billboard magazine in 1956. If you could see any entertainer -- male or female -- in concert, who would you choose?

A. I have no idea. I'm going to a Melissa Etheridge concert in late April.

7) She appeared in Westerns on both TV and in the movies. Have you ever dreamed of being a cowboy/cowgirl?

A. No, I can't say that appealed to me.

8) For six seasons, Julie played Dixie McCall R.N. on the show Emergency! The series was about Los Angeles paramedics and firefighters. Do you often hear sirens in your neighborhood?

A. No. I live in a rural area. If you hear sirens around here, you look up and watch. I loved that show, by the way, and I remember the nurse Dixie.

9) Random question: You're pulled over for speeding. Do you think you'd have an easier time talking your way out of it if the officer was a man . . . or a woman?

A. I think a man, but I doubt I'd be successful with either of them.

______________
I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.

5 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure that "Lavender Blue, dilly, dilly" song was Burl Ives. I can't remember the movie name. I saw it once and I believe it was a mix of live action and animation. Emergency has recently turned up on COZI TV so I've been watching it again. I had a massive crush on Randolph Mantooth, but I never new Dixie was a singing star.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! I used to have to play "Lavender Blue, dilly dilly" on the piano (100 years ago). Actually, I'm enjoying it playing in my head right now. I worked as a stenographer for many years and still remember most of my Gregg shorthand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought about telephone operator. It's too bad there are no copy editors--we still need them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am pretty new to country music being raised in California. But I love the stories you hear in so many.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my God! My dad used to sing "Lavender Blue, Dilly Dilly" while we were in the car! I havn't thought of that in years!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.