Saturday, August 10, 2019

Saturday 9: Frasier Theme

Saturday 9: Tossed Salad & Scrambled Eggs

Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it here. (It's the theme from Frasier.)

1) This is the theme from Frasier, a TV show that ran  from 1993 to 2004. Were you a fan?

A. I watched it more in reruns than I did when it was on, but I like the show.

2) The show is about a radio advice show host, Dr. Frasier Krane. When you listen to the radio, do you tune in for talk or music?

A. Both. I listen to many NPR talk shows and I listen to music. Depends on my mood.

3) The theme's composer explained that tossed salad and scrambled eggs are both "mixed up," like the people who called Frasier's radio show. Which did you eat more recently, tossed salad or scrambled eggs?

A. I think I had both on the same day. But not at the same time.

4) Peri Gilpin played Roz, Frasier's coworker at the radio station. The actress originally cast was Lisa Kudrow, but the show's producers didn't feel she was "right." Being released from Frasier gave her the opportunity to accept a bigger and better part: Phoebe on Friends. Can you think of a time when a setback was really a blessing in disguise?

A. In the mid-1980s I started a new job at a credit union. It was the most mind-numbing, dull and awful job I could have had. I cried every day when I got home. I quit after about six weeks. But then I had to do something, so I found part-time work and went to Hollins College (now Hollins University) in their program for older adults. Same degree, but it was only part-time schooling (I think they've since changed that). Quitting the job felt like a setback as I caught a lot of flak for it - it was considered a good job - but it led me to college and finding a better sense of place.

5) Dr. Krane shared his home with Martin, his retired dad. Martin's favorite chair was well-worn recliner, held together in parts with tape. Frasier tried to replace it by giving his father a brand-new, expensive leather chair as a gift. Martin wanted his old recliner back. Tell us about a present you either gave or received that wasn't a hit.

A. I once received a Harry Potter book. It was a hardcover and I suppose somewhat expensive edition. I had of course already read all the Harry Potter books. Apparently it was obvious from the look on my face that I had read the books, so the giver asked, and I answered in the affirmative. She took the book back and said she'd return it and send me something else. She never did. After that, no matter what I receive, I say I love it and don't tell the giver otherwise. Then I dispose of it myself.

6) Kelsey Grammer played Dr. Krane on three different series (Cheers, Wings and Frasier) over 20 years. What job have you held the longest?

A. I have been a freelance writer since 1994. I have mostly retired from it due to health reasons, although I'm currently working on a project anyway. It's more for fun than for pay, though.

7) Before he found success on Cheers, Grammer played bit parts on the daytime dramas Ryan's World and Another World. Have you ever followed a soap opera?

A. I used to watch Dark Shadows and The Guiding Light.

8) In addition to work in front of the camera, Grammer has done voice over work on commercials for Dr. Pepper and Cheerios. Are either of those products in your kitchen right now?

A. Both are, actually. My husband drinks Dr. Pepper and I have Cheerios that I eat dry sometimes as an afternoon snack.

9) Random question: You're invited to a party where dinner is served buffet style. There's spaghetti with tomato sauce, barbecue spare ribs and buffalo wings. When the evening is over, how likely are you to have a food stain on your clothes?

A. Not at all, unless someone else splatters something. With my ulcers and sensitive stomach, I wouldn't be eating any of those items. My husband, on the other hand, would have BBQ spare rib sauce on his shirt.

___________

I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.

7 comments:

  1. That's how I usually choose to handle an unwanted gift, too. Though, I would probably have kept and loved the Harry Potter because of it being such a nice edition. I'd have tucked it into my collection (which is why I never have enough bookshelves!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. #5 -- That is the best way. It is, after all, the thought that counts!

    #7 -- The Decades cable channel once reran Dark Shadows over the Halloween weekend. I hadn't thought about it, literally, in decades, and yet once I started watching it, I found I remembered SO MUCH! Like the man in Victoria Winters' life, the one Barnabas was jealous of, was Burke Devlin. I mean, really! I can't remember which purse I left my contact lenses in, but I remember this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Guiding Light back in the 80s when Kevin Bacon was on it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always say I love gifts too...I usually do, I am not lying. I am so easy to please. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its best to say you like a gift, no matter what. Puts an end to trouble.
    I end up with spots on my shirt, no matter what I eat. <---piggy girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a very good plan with the gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found that by starting college later in life that I got more out of it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.