Friday, February 01, 2019

Farewell, Uncle

Yesterday evening I learned the horrifying news that my uncle, his wife, and my cousin died in a house fire at their home in Ogden, Kansas.


This is an old photo taken when my mother passed away in 2000. That may have been the last time I saw Uncle Butch. He is the one on the far right. I don't recall seeing him at my grandmother's funeral in 2007. I suspect this is the only picture of the four brothers as adults in existence. They weren't much on get-togethers.

I don't know that I ever met Uncle Butch's wife. His son, whom we called Buddy, had a rare disease that required a lot of treatment. He was never able to work and lived with his father and stepmother. I hadn't seen Buddy in years.

Uncle Butch served in the U.S. Army and retired from service. I am not sure why he chose to live in Kansas. I think he ran a video store there until video went out of style; then I am not sure what he did. He was about 70 years old.

According to news reports, the fire started in the wee hours of the morning, around 3:40 a.m., and rescue efforts were hampered by 5 degree temperatures.

Four people perished in the fire. I do not know who the fourth person was; I have been told two things - that it was a renter and that it was a homeless person my uncle had let into his home because of the low temperatures. I don't know which is correct. I do know it was not my other cousin, Uncle Butch's daughter.

Fire and/or smoke inhalation is a bad way to go. My uncle had Parkinson's disease so he may not have been able to get out regardless. If smoke overtook everyone as they were sleeping, perhaps they had painless deaths. I shall hope so, anyway.

There is a story about the fire here and another here. If there is an obituary I will post it; I think at the moment there is confusion over the funeral and who will be taking care of what, since Uncle Butch's daughter is, unfortunately, incarcerated on drug trafficking charges. I doubt she will be much help.

Updated:

Here are the obituaries from the funeral home:

Roger Duane Harris, Sr, died on January 31 at his home in Ogden, Ks. Roger was born in Roanoke, Virginia and is preceded in death by his parents, Claude and Melba Harris, and his older sister, Glenda Bruffey. He retired from the Army with honors after 20 years of service, including time in Vietnam, making his home in Ogden. Roger is survived by his daughter, Anita Jo Albino, sister Carolyn Hunt, and brothers Melvin Lee Harris, Claude Harris, Jr., and Gerald Thomas Harris as well as many loving friends in the Ft Riley and Ogden area.

Roger Duane Harris, Jr, died on January 31 at his home in Ogden, KS. Roger was born in Roanoke, Virginia and is survived by his mother, Dottie Prince and sister Anita Jo Albino as well as several aunts and uncles. Roger, often known as Buddy to friends and family, perished on the same day as his father, Roger Harris, Sr. He will be fondly remembered by many friends in the Ogden area, including special friends Angie Reffner, her children Melissa, John, Steven, Shyllyn, and Jennifer, Angie’s grand-children Krystyne, Viktor, and Emerie, special friends Harvey and Michelle Naffei, and countless other children he has watched grow up over the years. A memorial service will be held at St. Patrick's Catholic Church in Ogden, KS on Thursday, February 7, 2019 at 10:30 am with a luncheon to follow.

Rae Elaine LaPorte Harris, 72, died on January 31 in a fire at her home in Ogden, KS. Rae Elaine was born July 5, 1946, in Utica, NY, and was preceded in death by her father, Raymond LaPorte, and her brother, John LaPorte. Rae Elaine graduated from Indian River High School in Philadelphia, NY, and attended SUNY Oswego. After college she became the secretary to the fashion editor of Family Circle magazine in NYC. She then worked as a secretary at Fort Drum, NY, Aberdeen Proving Grounds, MD, and Fort Riley, KS. She changed careers again to become a cross-country tractor-trailer driver, and then she started her own video rental business in Ogden. She loved to sing and was a member of the Junction City Troubadours. Rae Elaine is survived by her step-daughter Anita Jo Albino of Ogden, KS, her mother Mary Jean LaPorte and sister Linda LaPorte Gross, both of Simpsonville, SC, her brother Dan LaPorte of Sabillasville, MD, and her nephews Michael Gross of Carson, CA, and Steven Gross and Raymond James Gross of Simpsonville, SC. Rae Elaine was a friend to everyone she met and will be missed by all.

A memorial service will be held at St. Patrick's Catholic Church in Ogden, Ks on Thursday, February 7, 2019, at 10:30 am with a luncheon to follow.

Memorial contributions may be made to the St. Patrick's Catholic Church or to the Riley County Firefighters Association in care of the Yorgensen-Meloan-Londeen Funeral Home 1616 Poyntz Avenue, Manhattan, Kansas 66502.

Roger D.

6 comments:

  1. What a terrible tragedy! My sympathies to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this is so sad ... and scary! I, too, hope that they just fell asleep and didn't wake up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m so sorry for your loss. What terrible way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. May their Spirits be at peace and now soaring joyfully through the Universe. Big hugs, Virginia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had been wondering why they hadn't called or messaged me in awhile. I know time has passed to where I didn't realize so much went by since we last spoke. I just went on a search and there it was. I have been crying since. I miss my friends. They always stopped through here and we would have breakfast n dinner a few times before their trip home. I miss them dearly. I wish I knew sooner. My condolences to the family.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.