Monday, September 17, 2018

Bruffey Memorial United Methodist Church

Back in May, when we were tooling around the borders of Virginia and West Virginia, we took a side trip over to Gap Mills, West Virginia.

The land there is lovely. From Sweet Springs to Gap Mills, there is a long valley full of gorgeous farmland.

We were searching for a church called the Bruffey Church. That was all I knew about it at the time. Allegedly some of my relatives started this church.

We could not get inside the building, and while we ran into one person there, that person offered no information about the structure or its history.

It's a plain little country church

You see structures like these all over southwestern Virginia and West Virginia.

My husband wondered why the cross was lopsided on the front.
The full name of the church is the Bruffey Memorial United Methodist Church. I don't know if it has always been Methodist.

As best I can tell from an unproductive internet search, about 30 people attend services here. There was no cemetery attached to the church so I am not sure where relatives who attended this structure might be buried.

There is a Facebook page for the church and I've written to see if there is a history available. I'll update if so.

4 comments:

  1. I have a program from there and a cookbook from that church as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anita and Loren. I was told by one of the church members it was named after George Washington Bruffey, who was a UME minister in the Va/WVa area at the time of its founding, on land donated by the Lynch family, which also includes the Hollywood Tabernacle. The cemetery is a little ways down the road toward where the Post Office was and the bridge over Second Creek. G.W and his wife are buried there, as is his granddaughter Emma Bruffey Thornhill, my grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My family is from there Emily Bruffey she would be my great great grandmother.As far as I know it's always been Methodist

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mark Bruffey is my 4th Great Grand Father, I've Been Looking for Strother Bruffey, and where he may be buried. his Family is buried here in Lynchburg in some of the cemetery. Has any one heard of a Krotten Bruffey

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.