Monday, April 23, 2018

The Ernest Pig Robertson Fishing Rodeo

One of the things my father did with my brother and me when we were children was to take us fishing.

Specifically, he would take us to the Ernest "Pig" Robertson Fishing Rodeo in Salem. The event is now in its 67th year.

I don't remember my mother being at these things, but I am sure she was there somewhere. Maybe she sat over in the grass preparing a picnic. All of the excitement centered around several hundred youngsters sticking fishing poles with bobbers on them into the water, hoping to catch a trout. I think the ponds were stocked the day before the event.

One year I won a prize of a bag of a potato chips because I caught a catfish.

My brother won a prize for catching a large trout one year. Somewhere I have seen a news clipping with his picture.

I learned to bait my hook and I learned to fish at this event, for the most part. I remember it as being very crowded. I have a very vivid memory of my father leaning over my brother to help him and saying, very loudly, that my brother's line was caught on some asshole's hook, and it turned out to belong to the child beside him. The kid's father glared at my dad, who said, "Sorry buddy," and turned his attention back to us. I don't know why I remember that.

As the eldest child I was expected to pretty much take care of myself while my father helped my brother fish. That was okay with me. I remember catching fish, so I must have figured it out.

_____________
Linking up with the April challenge from Kwizgiver. April 23 done!

2 comments:

  1. I remember as a kid that I used to fish with my grandfather using an old bamboo pole. He taught me how to bait my hook and what the best bait to use to catch fish. Thanks for bringing back great memory for me with your story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that your prize was a bag of chips! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.