Saturday, November 04, 2017

Saturday 9: Suddenly I see

Saturday 9: Suddenly I See (2005)
 
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This song is a tribute to Patti Smith, the rocker who inspired KT Tunstall. What woman who has inspired you?
 
A. I think the women (yes, plural) who inspired me the most were my teachers in high school and college. They saw me as a person, and taught me to be one.
 
2) In this video, you can see a turntable and an LP. When is the last time you played a record?
 
A. We kept the turntable I had when I was a teenager until around 1993 or so, so probably then. I refused to convert to CDs for a long time. But eventually you have no choice, though I am glad vinyl is coming back in style.
 
3) Growing up, Ms. Tunstall seldom sang at home because her father is severely hearing impaired and music interfered with his sensitive hearing aid. Do you, or does anyone in your family, wear a hearing aid?
 
A. Not that I am aware of. I know some people who probably should be wearing one, though.
 
4) In high school, she got experience performing on street corners. Have you ever tipped a street musician?
 
A. I don't think so. You don't see a lot of that in rural areas.
 
5) When this song was popular, Microsoft introduced the Xbox 360 to North America. Are you into gaming?
 
A. Yes. I am a big Skyrim fan and I like city building games. I have a plastic tub full of old 3.5 discs with video games on them. I have no idea what to do with them.
 
6)  In 2005, Prince Charles married his long-time love, Camilla Parker Bowles. At the time of their wedding, 73% of Brits said they disapproved of her. Today, her popularity has increased somewhat and her disapproval has dropped to 55%. Do you know anyone who married someone you didn't like? Did their spouse grow on you with time?
 
A. I can't think of anyone in relation to this question.
 
7) Harry Potter ad the Goblet of Fire was popular in theaters. Who is your favorite "Harry Potter" character?
 
A. Hermione.

8) In 2005, YouTube was introduced by three young men who met while working at PayPal. What's the last thing you paid for using PayPal?
 
A. Probably some "diamonds" for my city building game, Elvenar. I allotted myself the amount a video game normally costs (about $50) to use in this "free but with in-app purchases" game. Those kinds of purchases can get out of hand so I always set a budget.
 
9) Random Question: After a long, exhausting day of travel, you check into a motel. The room is not at all to your liking. It's next to the ice machine, so you can hear cubes dropping noisily into metal buckets. Your view is of the parking lot. The bath towels are thin and tiny. In short, you feel like you're being ripped off. Do you grab your bag, turn on your heel and check out, hoping there are better accommodations nearby? Or do you say, "What the hell, it's only one night," and climb into bed?
 
A. I have been known to leave hotels in the middle of the night and drive back home, even though I was eight hours away. So I assume I would turn on my heel, get my money back, and flee, given my history.

 _____________
I encourage you to visit other participants in
Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.

5 comments:

  1. Farmville sounds like Elvenar. Yeah, it's free but ... When I see my fellow farmers with their lavish spreads and barns full of animals, I wonder about their credit card bills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m glad that vinyl is making somewhat of a comeback. I don’t see CDs going away since all of our ears have been retrained to accept the sound coming from CDs.
    That’s a great idea, to have a spending limit for games. I will sometimes buy colors of dye for my game, and have bought a pet or two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure that my teenage turntable is somewhere in my attic. I wonder if it still works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I donated my LPs and turntable to the school library. The kids had never seen either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do did you keep the turntable, now that vinyl is coming back?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.