Thursday, September 10, 2026

Thursday Thirteen #975

 

Things I’m Too Old for Now

1. Pretending I like pumpkin spice. I have never liked it, and I don't intend to start now. The "spice" part is nice; the pumpkin? Not so much.

2. Uncomfortable clothes that “look cute.” If it pokes, pinches, rides up, or requires strategic undergarments, it’s a no. Honestly, I've very seldom worn fashionable clothes. Give me jeans and a T-shirt and I'm good.

3. People who can’t read a room. I've been watching the local county meetings, and wow. What a difference 10 years makes. I remember when there was decorum and courtesy in gatherings. Now all I see is mad and a chairman who doesn't know how to use the gavel and tell the police officer to escort certain persons outside. Like, be prepared, dude.

4. Standing in long lines for anything. There is absolutely nothing in my area that is worth standing in line for, no restaurant, no event. If there's more than a 10-minute wait at Cracker Barrel, I'm out of there.

5. Drama disguised as “concern.” I can spot it from a mile away and I’m not walking toward it. See #3 above, because that's all that's going on there.

6. Overly complicated technology. If it takes three menus and a hidden toggle to do one simple thing, I’m done. Make stuff intuitive for regular people, not techno brains.

7. Noisy restaurants where conversation is a sport. I’m not shouting my order over a speaker system. Have you noticed how loud restaurants are, especially the ones with music playing in the background? Between the high ceilings and nothing to dampen sound, it's like you've been tossed into a noise room with a little food.

8. People who think “just bring your dog, it’s fine.” It’s not fine. It’s never fine.

9. Being polite to someone smoking near me. I’m too old to pretend I don’t smell it. Besides, why should I risk an asthma attack just because you're addicted.

10. Furniture that’s more “statement piece” than functional. Thankfully I think (hope?) the era of "big" furniture is about over, which as a short person makes me very happy. If I can’t sit on it without bracing myself, it’s decorative clutter.

11. Trying to keep up with trends. I’ll wear blue jeans, dusty colors, and lip gloss forever, thanks.

12. Forcing myself to finish a book I’m not enjoying. Life is short and the library is large. I just sent an audiobook back that I'd listened to 9% of after deciding I just didn't want to finish it. There aren't many I do that with, but sometimes the book just doesn't click.

13. Explaining myself to people who already decided not to understand me. My energy is better spent elsewhere.

_________________

Thursday Thirteen is played by lots of people; there is a list here if you want to read other Thursday Thirteens and/or play along. I've been playing for a while, and this is my 975th time to do a list of 13 on a Thursday. Or so sayth the Blogger counter, anyway.

2 comments:

  1. Yes to #13. And #5. I am so sick of "concern". "Concern" is code for buttinskies to just butt in.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.