Saturday, September 12, 2026

Saturday 9: Devil in the Bottle




Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This song begins with T. G. Sheppard taking off his shoes to slip into the house with disturbing his sleeping wife. Are you wearing shoes as you answer these questions?

A. Yes. I always have shoes on. I have never liked being barefoot, even as a child.

2) His wife hears him anyway. Are you a light sleeper?

A. I am a light sleeper. I sleep with an air purifier on a high setting so I don't hear the refrigerator dump ice, or the dishwasher running, or whatever.
 
3) This is the first of 22 consecutive #1 hits for T. G. Sheppard. Not bad for a high school dropout. What's the last year of education that you completed?

A. I have a masters degree. I finished it in 2012.
 
4) He was born William Browder and chose the stage name T. G. Sheppard just because he liked the sound of it. He says "T. G." doesn't stand for anything, and he gets a kick out of fans who insist there's some secret meaning behind the initials. Since most of us didn't choose our names: Is there a story behind your name? Did your parents tell you why they chose it? (If you did choose your name, share what influenced your decision.)

A. My mother apparently liked my first name. I'm not sure where my middle name came from.
 
5) It was after hours at a Memphis roller rink when he first met Elvis and his entourage. As T. G. was leaving, Elvis was entering and asked if he wanted to stay and skate longer. T. G. was confused because he knew the place was closing for the night. "Not for me," Elvis replied and T. G. skated with Elvis and his buddies until dawn. Are you good on roller skates?

A. I'm not anymore. I was ok when I was a young thing, but that was many, many years ago.

6) T. G. loves NASCAR and was an associate sponsor of the Folgers Chevrolet. He enjoyed the collaboration with the coffee company and has performed the familiar jingle – "the best part of waking up is Folgers in your cup" – in concert. Are you loyal to a particular coffee brand?

A. I do not drink coffee. My husband drinks one cup a day, and I used to by him Maxwell House, but coffee's gotten so expensive that now I just buy him the cheapest brand. He says he can't tell the difference.
 
7) T. G. understands the lifestyle of his fans. That's why he named his live country music venue Guitars and Cadillacs. If you were going to name a business after two of your favorite things, what would you call it?

A. Books and Pens, I guess (for reading and writing). Maybe Pens and Books sounds better?
 
8) In 1974, when this week's song was on the country charts, Linda Ronstadt was getting a lot of radio airplay with "You're No Good." That song is about a real cad. Let's turn that around: Who is the nicest person you know?

A. I know a lot of nice people so I don't really want to call any of them out.
 
9) Random question: Have you ever had your palm read?

A. Yes, I had my palm read once at some kind of New Age fair thing. The guy was incredibly spot on, so much so that it was scary, and I flung $20 at him and got as far away from him as I reasonably could.

_______________

I encourage you to visit the posts of other participants in Saturday 9 and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however. 

3 comments:

  1. Do you remember anything the palm reader said? I know it was spot on, but was it unique to you? Do you think he could have guessed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, much of it was unique to me. Some of was the usual thing you might expect, but some of it was definitely me.

      Delete
  2. I love the name for your business. Somehow, I left books out of my answer! Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.