Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
This month Saturday 9 will be tasty, featuring songs with food in the title.
1) Do you eat soup all year round, or do you consider it a seasonal dish?
A. I don't eat it often in summer. If I am sick, I might eat a bowl of chicken soup, but mostly I consider soup a fall through spring sort of meal.
2) Gazpacho is a popular cold soup. Made with water-rich tomatoes, cucumbers and bell peppers, it's considered a good choice for hot weather because it's hydrating. What are your favorite summertime foods?
A. I love watermelon. It's terribly expensive now, but it's one of my favorites. I am also partial to strawberries and blueberries.
3) This week, Shirley Temple sings of the delights of having crackers in her soup. How often do you add crackers to your soup: always, sometimes, never?
A. Sometimes.
4) "Animal Crackers in My Soup" was the big musical number in the 1935 movie Curly Top. Shirley played Elizabeth, who helps her older sister find love with a handsome millionaire. Have you ever played matchmaker? If yes, were your efforts successful?
A. I don't recall ever playing matchmaker.
5) Gertrude Temple, Shirley's mother, was her daughter's onset hairstylist, creating the famous "curly top" with pin curls. What's your hair care regimen?
A. I wash my hair and blow it dry. If there are ends trying to turn me into the flying nun, I take a curling iron to them.
6) Bartenders are still called upon to create the non-alcoholic Shirley Temple, made with ginger ale, lemon-lime soda, and grenadine. What's the most recent alcoholic beverage you drank?
A. I last had some blackberry wine in May 2012, at my last creative writing class at Hollins University. The teacher brought it in to celebrate the end of class and the fact that most of us in there were graduating with our masters degree that year.
7) In 1935, when this song was popular, Amelia Earhart flew from Honolulu to Oakland, California. Are you a nervous flyer?
A. I haven't been on a plane since 1993. I don't recall being especially nervous about it.
8) Also in 1935, The Hoover Dam was dedicated. Today it's a popular tourist attraction, with more than 7 million visitors each year. Have you ever been to Las Vegas?
A. I have been through Las Vegas. My parents drove through the city during a two-week round driving trip from Virginia to California. I don't remember if we stopped there.
9) Random question: You get a spur-of-the-moment invitation to a meal with your best friend. Could you go wearing what you have on right now?
A. No. I have on an old t-shirt that says, "Keepin' it Rural" and would have to change into a nicer shirt. This is just for wearing around the house.
_______________
I encourage you to visit the posts of other participants in Saturday 9 and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.