Saturday, October 19, 2024

Saturday 9: Autumn in New York




Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it here.

1) In this song, Frank Sinatra sings that autumn in New York is inviting. How are you enjoying fall where you are?

A. The leaves are just starting to turn here in the lower areas; I can see color on the mountain ridges.

2) He tells us the "canyons of steel" (aka skyscrapers) make him feel like he's home. What's something you love about your neighborhood?

A. I love the mountains. They feel like home to me.

3) Frank Sinatra was self-conscious about the scar on his cheek. The doctor used forceps to deliver him and left a mark. Tell us about one of your scars.

A. I have a scar on my left thumb that I made while I was helping my grandfather chop up a mulberry tree that had fallen in his backyard. I missed the limb with the hatchet and hit my thumb. The thing bled like crazy and probably needed a stitch, but my grandmother simply held my thumb together and wrapped it up tightly in a bandage.

4) Frank was a creature of habit. Every time he visited Patsy's Italian Restaurant in New York he ordered the same dessert: lemon ricotta torte. Do you enjoy trying new dishes, or do you prefer to stick with your old favorites?

A. We tend to eat the same thing most of the time, mostly because I can't stand to cook, and we can't simply walk to a restaurant.

5) "Autumn in New York" was written by New Yorker Vernon Duke during a hot summer vacation in Westport, CT. Have you ever been homesick?

A. I have been homesick. I think I get a little homesick every time we take a vacation, even though my husband is right beside me. I like my house and my view.

6) In 1947, when this recording made the Top 30, Daniel and Patricia were the most popular baby names. Are there any Daniels or Patricias in your life?

A. I know a Patty from college. She is not exactly in my life, but she sends me an instant message about once a year. 

7) Elton John was born in 1947. When you think of Elton John, what's the first song that comes to mind?

A. Daniel.

8) Radio was America's most accessible form of entertainment in 1947 and a mystery, The Adventures of Ellery Queen, was one of the most popular shows. Do you enjoy mysteries?

A. I like cozy mysteries. I am not much on guts and gory mysteries. I could not reach Patricia Cornwell because I found her books too gruesome, for example. But I like Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series because the blood and guts are not overly done. Same with Louise Penny's Three Pines books.

9) Random question: What were you most excited about when you woke up this morning?

A. My husband is going to make breakfast!

_______________

I encourage you to visit the posts of other participants in Saturday 9 and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however. 

5 comments:

  1. So what did he make for breakfast? I hope you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I get older I find I don't like the gory details in my mystery books. But I love a mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are lucky you did not lose you thumb! You don't realize how much you use it until you can't use it. I had to ask my husband to cut my nails on my right hand. What did you have for breakfast?

    ReplyDelete
  4. How nice that your husband made breakfast! Mine hasn't done that in quite a while. Actually, he hadn't done much of anything with how poorly he'd been feeling. Maybe he will get back to it now that he has the stint. He makes great French toast.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.