Saturday, February 17, 2024

Saturday 9: Paper Doll


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) The song is about a fellow who is exasperated by men flirting with his girl. Do you have a jealous streak?

A. Not really, no. I don't think I've ever been jealous over a person, but I have envied the work of others (as in a good book that I wish I'd written).

2) He's blue after a quarrel with Sue. Did you exchange harsh words with anyone recently?

A. My husband and I occasionally snap at one another, but we don't fight.

3) "Paper Doll" was #1 for 12 weeks in 1943-44, sold 11 million copies and remains one of the best-selling singles of all time. Had you heard it before today?

A. I don't recall ever hearing this song before. But I wasn't even a twinkle in my father's eye in the 1940s. Or my grandfather's eye, for that matter.

4) As kids, the Mills Brothers worked on their harmonies in front of their father's Piqua, OH, barbershop, much to the delight of passersby. Do you often encounter street musicians in your neighborhood?

A. I live in a rural area. We do not have street musicians here. However, there's a rooftop restaurant in Fincastle, and I once thought about taking an amp and my guitar and setting up and playing on the corner until someone paid me to go away.

5) The Mills Brothers were a long way from that street corner when, in 1936, they became the first African Americans to perform for the British Royal Family. It's about 4,000 miles from Piqua to London. What's the farthest you've ever been from home?

A. France, which is 4,015 miles away, according to Alexa.

6) In the early 1930s, the Mills Brothers not only performed songs on radio, they sang jingles for Standard Oil and Crisco. What commercial can you recall having seen (or heard) lately?

A. The new Kia commercial that premiered during the Super Bowl. It was the only one I really felt tugged at the heart strings (the Budweiser commercial was a bust). I saw it last while we were watching Big Bang reruns. The commercial shows a young girl ice skating, and she's disappointed when she sees an empty chair beside her father. Then she goes to an outside homemade rink and skates for her disabled grandfather.

7) In 1943, when "Paper Doll" was popular, WWII was raging and the US Mint began producing steel pennies because copper was needed for ammunition. Do you have any pennies in your pocket or wallet right now?

A. I have pennies in the tray in my car. Does that count? That's a cool factoid about the pennies; I didn't know that.
 
8) Also in 1943, a bottle of Coke was a nickel. When did you most recently have a soft drink? What was it?

A. I haven't had a soft drink since October 2020, and it was a ginger ale.

9) Random question: Have you learned more from your successes, or your failures?

A. My successes gave me some confidence, which I have always lacked. Failures show me what I need to change, though, so I have learned from them as well. I think it's a toss-up.

_______________

I encourage you to visit the posts of other participants in Saturday 9 and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however. 

5 comments:

  1. #3: This record is more than 80 years old, so I doubt any of us were around when it was originally hitsville. I first discovered it in the 1970s because it features prominently in The Way We Were. Lots of movies have used it to establish a 1940s setting, the way "For What It's Worth" is used to evoke the 1960s.
    #6: Did you see the Dove commercial? That one got to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Playing your guitar like that sounds really fun

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Kia commercial was very good. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend. ♥

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. That skating one was very touching, but I don't remember it being from Kia. We own a Kia Sorrento. I like your answer to number 9.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that commercial. But the one that gets me (not on the Super Bowl) is the deaf grandmother teaching her baby grandchild how to sign.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.