Thursday, January 04, 2024

Thursday Thirteen

Some songs stick with you not because of the entire song, but because of a line or two. Here are 13 lines from songs that have stuck with me. Do you recognize them?

1. "And I need you more than want you, and I want you for all time."

2. "For I've been lonely, in need of someone, as though I'd done someone wrong somewhere, but I don't know where."

3. "To believe in this living is just a hard way to go."

4. "I've done my best, it wasn't much. I couldn't feel, so I learned to touch. I've told the truth, I didn't come to fool you."

5. "Have you ever seen the rain coming down on a sunny day?"

6. "I'm just another writer, still trapped within my truth."

7. "And the river she rises just like she used to do. She's so full of surprises, she reminds me of you."

8. "Teach the children quietly for some day sons and daughters will rise up and fight while we stood still."

9. "Now that she's back from that soul vacation tracing her way through the constellation, she checks out Mozart while she does Tae-bo, reminds me that there's room to grow."

10. "Somewhere, somehow, somebody must've kicked you around some."

11. "We went searching through thrift store jungles. Found Geronimo's rifle, Marilyn's shampoo, and Benny Goodman's corset and pen."

12. "They would not listen, they did not how. Perhaps they'll listen now."

13. "Just remember in the winter, far beneath the bitter snow, lies the seed that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes the rose."


Answers:

1. Wichita Lineman, Glenn Campbell

2. Play Me, Neil Diamond

3. Angel From Montgomery, John Prine (performed by Bonnie Raitt)

4. Hallelujah, Leonard Cohen

5. Have You Ever Seen the Rain, by CCR

6. Sometimes When We Touch, by Dan Hill

7. Heart of the Night, by Poco

8. Silent Running, by Mike & the Mechanics

9. Drops of Jupiter, by Train

10. Refugee, Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers

11. If It Makes You Happy, Sheryl Crow

12. Vincent (Starry Starry Night), by Don McLean

13. The Rose, by Bette Midler

______________


Thursday Thirteen is played by lots of people; there is a list here if you want to read other Thursday Thirteens and/or play along. I've been playing for a while, and this is my 841st time to do a list of 13 on a Thursday. Or so sayth the Blogger counter, anyway.

7 comments:

  1. Good one! I sang along with most of them but drew a blank on the artist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could name about half of them...and then spent too much time thinking of lines that have stuck with me.

    Haven't been around much, did you completely avoid covid? I hope so. I'm currently quarantining because I woke up with it on New Year's Day. It's not been horrible, but sick is sick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some of those I know. Some I did not. Some of the songs I did know I did not recognize from the lines. But sometimes it hits you and sometimes it does not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most sang themselves to me as I read, especially Angel from Montgomery and Vincent (except I heard Don Mclean and at first thought it was American Pie). I had to cheat (look) at #11 because the lyric was so interesting and when I saw it was Sheryl Crow, I went DUH and it all came back and sang to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, those are all heavy lines. Kinda makes my head ache.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a very cool post! I knew most of the lines, remembered the song on a few, but had to cheat in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh! This was fun! I may borrow it for a TT when I'm stuck.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.