Monday, January 29, 2024

Oh, Pooh!

In December, I had my annual check-in with my gastroenterologist. A year ago, she had asked me about a colonoscopy, and since I was only 59 and had another year to go, I said we'd talk about it at this particular meeting.

She didn't even give me the option. She straight out said she thought I was a good candidate for Cologuard and we'd try that. I was surprised because I don't think I am a good candidate for it, based on what I've read. I have IBS and digestive issues galore.

But she said since I have developed a heart murmur, she thought this would be better and less stressful. Who was I to argue? 

Friends say that getting a colonoscopy checkup around here is difficult, taking up to a year to schedule. (Things are backed up. Ha.) I have never liked colonoscopies (I have had two.). It's an invasive "checkup." Too much could go wrong, between an anesthetic and the possibility of a bowel perforation. I prefer my wellness care to be much less invasive.

The Cologuard arrived via UPS last week. I had that upper respiratory infection going on, and the doctor put me on an antibiotic, so I wavered about doing the Cologuard test, but went ahead and took care of business. I didn't want to wait in case the antibiotic upsets my stomach. They do that sometimes.

Cologuard is basically a stool sample that is reviewed for cancer sheds and/or blood. The test claims to be 87% correct. Are those good odds? They would be in a life-or-death situation, but a positive result on this means loads of worry and a colonoscopy anyway. So, I shall have to hope for the negative in this situation.

I understand that in the UK this is the way they do colon checks all the time. They do the stool test first and go for the more expensive and better-paying (for the doctor and facility) invasive test only if warranted. Of course, here in the land of the dollar bill, the doctors are going to make something expensive routine (every 10 years, 5 if they find polyps).

Cologuard advertises heavily here, so I assume there is good money it in now. There is another test available called FIT, which I had never heard of until I searched to see if there were other tests. But if this is a brand, I can't find a website for it. Maybe it's not a brand but a description of the test. I'm not sure.

At any rate, the arrival of the test lead to a plethora of bad jokes and lots of discussion about how the mailroom at the science office smells. I surely would not want to be the UPS driver of the truck that carries these tests into the facility every day. You just know that not everybody screws the lids tightly on the test kits. Phewee.

Meanwhile, my upper respiratory issues are better, though I still sound a bit raspy, and I tire easily. I am trying to make today be like a normal day and not a sick day. I have had enough of those, so I am pretending I am not sick and trying to go about my routine as normal. I'm on the mend though I can see this may be a few more days before I can pronounce myself well.

When I get the results, I'll write about how that goes. It may be a few weeks. I am also anxious about the expense. No one has mentioned how much this costs.



*I am not getting paid to write about this. I am just talking about something I experienced recently.*


4 comments:

  1. I did the Cologuard test a couple of years ago. Much easier than a colonoscopy. I was fortunate that my insurance paid for it. I have read that some countries do them without sedation. Don't know how I feel about that either....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you're starting to feel better. It seems like every illness is lingering longer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just to say that in England and Wales (probably Scotland too) the stool tests happen every two years and are free as part of the NHS's preventative strategy. (Mammograms happen once every three years, with the same strategy. Other tests are free on request.) But if samples leak and there is any mixing of their contents, I am surprised that the accuracy rate is as high as 87 per cent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had that test twice. My Medicare Advantage paid for it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.