Tuesday, January 30, 2024

The Games They Play

I had words with my pharmacist today. I had called in my prescriptions on Sunday, all of them due for refill within 7 days.

I noted on the pharmacy dashboard that one of them was not listed as being filled. It is a Schedule II drug (or maybe Schedule IV, I don't know and don't really care).

I've had trouble with this drug in the past. Sometimes I call it in and can pick it up 3-4 days before it's due to run out, other times the drugstore holds it until the day I'm supposed to run out. I wanted to know what the "rule" was. Or what the problem was.

A male-sounding person answered the phone.

I gave him my name and date of birth. "I'm calling about [particular drug]. I asked for a refill and it's not on my dashboard as being refilled."

He told me the drug could only be filled the day before it runs out by federal law. 

"This is most inconvenient," I told him, "I'd like to pick up all of my prescriptions at once. And must I call this prescription back in? You used to hold it until it was time to pick it up."

"You'll have to call it in the day before it's due. I'm not violating federal law," he boomed into the phone. 

"I'm not asking you to," I replied. "You can hold all of my other drugs there until I can pick them all up at once."

And then I hung up on him because I wasn't going to argue. In the first place, I really don't think this is the law, as I've picked up this drug several days before; I think it varies by pharmacist. In the second place, I still have a bit of laryngitis and he obviously wasn't listening to my question, which simply was this: when am I supposed to call my drugs in so I can get them all picked up at the same time?

Funny thing was, as soon as I hung up the phone, within a minute I had a call from the store telling me I had prescriptions that could be refilled. The phone bot just doesn't say which ones. Or if they are my husband's drugs.

I didn't press one to have whatever it was refilled. I hung up the phone and dearly wished I had the old style where you could slam down the receiver with great satisfaction. Clicking "off" just doesn't do it.

Kroger Pharmacy has the stupidest phone system I have ever had to deal with, and I understand pharmacists around here, anyway, are understaffed and probably underpaid. But that's no reason to get huffy because I asked a question. I pay them plenty for my medication and I've been getting my drugs there for 20 years. 

Why does everyone have to be a jerk anymore?


1 comment:

  1. Hi Anita, sorry you had problems with your medications. I have Kaiser and they send us reminders when it is time to get refills. Some have to get doctors approval. I can order them onlline and then go pick them up or have them mailed. I am on ear drop antibiotics and now on a steroid. I think you said you had tinnitus and so do I. It has gotten worse with my recent ear problems. I know there are side effects to some medications. I wore a mask the last two times I went to Kaiser because there are so many people sick with the flu and Covid. I hope you get your prescription problems worked out.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.