Friday, December 29, 2023

Friday Mish-Mash

No one has become ill since Christmas, when we had an accidental exposure to the Covid virus. We have been following the CDC recommendations, which are: if exposed to Covid, mask for 10 days, and on the 5th day, take a Covid test. If negative, continue to mask (but you can stop worrying - they don't say that, but I inferred it) until the 10-day period is over.

My husband, my mother-in-law, and I all took at-home Covid tests this morning, and we were all negative. None of us have had any symptoms. Well, I always have sinus drainage and nasal issues, so it's not easy to tell with me sometimes, but I'd not experienced anything out of the ordinary. We have no plans to go anywhere until next week, so I think we're good. Hopefully, I am not speaking out too soon.

We haven't taken down the tree yet. I never know when to take it down. Usually, I take it down when I tire of it. Sometimes that is before New Year's Day, sometimes not. I know there is folk lore about when to take the tree down, but I don't pay attention to that. I've done it all sorts of ways and never noticed a change in my luck for good or ill.

There are still hundreds, if not thousands, of starlings flying about. They are not congregating at the bird feeder, so I don't know what is going on. They all rise en masse, flutter about for a half-second, and land again. It's like one big hive mind of birds milling about in the front yard. They are also quite noisy. It's a bit unnerving to see so many flitting about, covering up the fields, and filling the trees. When the flock flies over the house, it sounds like a little plane.

Cold is seeping in as the temperatures drop. We have a slight chance of snow. I am not expecting that to happen, but one never knows. We could wake in the morning to a world covered in white stuff. Or maybe it will only rain.

A new year brings changes, I hope. I just never know if they are for good or ill.


4 comments:

  1. I'm glad everyone seems to be staying healthy. We have some of those crazy flocks of birds around here, too. Maybe the non-existent winter is messing with migration? I don't know when our tree is coming down, either. I've always taken it down on New Year's Day, but that's my only day to rest in this 3-day weekend. Do I really want to give it up to take down the tree? Probably not. Maybe I'll just wait until Epiphany.

    By the way, don't be too jealous of my nails. They are tips with gel polish. My own nails are awful after a lifetime of biting them. Atleast I can't bite the fakes.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully no one will get sick. I would be a bit worried about all the birds. Will they go away if it snows? When I got Covid, it was like having a bad sinus thing just in my nose and a slight fever. Nothing else and I only felt sick one day. I had an appetite and had all my meals delivered to my door. Maybe because I had my vaccines. But there are so many things going around and it is hard to know. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will probably take my tree down today, or at least get a start on it. Happy New Year to you and yours! I'm so glad Covid passed you by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you seem to have avoided the dread plague. May the new year bring all sorts of amazing possibilities. We just took down the tree and indoor decorations today. The outdoor ones got taken down yesterday.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.