Saturday, October 21, 2023

Saturday 9: Something More


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
 
1) Sugarland's lead singer Jennifer Nettles describes a busy morning that begins with a cup of coffee. Do you start your day with a cup of joe?

A. I have never been a coffee drinker. I used to drink colas, then switched to tea, and now I only drink water. I have a hot cup of water in the morning.

2) When she gets home from work, she sings that her house is dirty but says housework can wait until she has a glass of wine. Is there a particular chore on your "to-do" list that you keep putting off?

A. I hate doing the bookkeeping for our various enterprises, like the farm, my husband's backhoe business, and the rental house. I try to keep it up, but I always get behind and then I beat myself up for it.

3) The lyrics tell us happiness is something we can create. Do you agree?

A. I think our attitude about things can make a difference, but sometimes life just tosses lemons at you and all you can do is duck. We can't control everything - or much of anything, really - and who's to say what's going to happen to you when you get out of bed? 

4) In the video of this week's song, the members of Sugarland ride along in a vintage Cadillac. Are you one of those drivers who has a nickname for your car?

A. No. Sometimes I call my car by a name but it's a different one every time. Mostly I just call it "car."

5) The group hitches a ride in a red truck. The auto insurance industry tells us that Americans favor vehicles in the grayscale colors. Nearly 80% of cars on the road today are white, black, gray or silver. What color is your vehicle?

A. My Toyota Camry is white. We've generally had white vehicles; they hide the dirt better.

6) Nettles achieved her dream of performing on Broadway when she took over the role of Roxy in Chicago. What's your fantasy job?

A. I don't know that I have one anymore. At various times, I've considered bookstore owner, college professor, novel writer, world traveler, cruise ship director, archeologist, geologist, and being the person who traveled the Bermuda Triangle until I disappeared so I could learn what happens down there (though we don't hear much about that anymore).

7) She wrote a cookbook with her mom called Sweet, Savory and Simple. When it was originally published, it was spiral bound. That way, it could be laid flat on the counter as the cook tries one of the recipes. How many cookbooks do you own?

A. Maybe three, if that. 
 
8) In 2005, when "Something More" was topping the country charts, Paul McCartney won a People's Choice Award for his concert tour. Do you have any plans to enjoy music performed live between now and the end of the year?

A. No, but I have plans to play music between now and then.

9) Random question: Who received the most recent compliment you gave?

A. My father was the last person I spoke with as I write this, so him.

 _______________

I encourage you to visit the posts of other participants in Saturday 9 and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however. 

7 comments:

  1. #2: I have designated Wednesdays for paperwork. Otherwise, since I have no natural proclivity for math, it's tempting for me put it off. If I don't do it every week, it gets away from me and then it becomes EPIC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, attitude makes a huge difference

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer is one of my favorite artists of all time. She has such a unique and beautiful voice; I could listen to her all day. I am not a coffee drinker either. My morning vice is Mountain Dew.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are lucky to still have your dad. I had a silver Camry in the 80's that was really nice. Then we got a white Dodge Caravan, then a white Highlander and now the white Kia, I would like to get a second car, but don't want th payment or high insurance payment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I had to give up coffee for the day before my colonoscopy, I had a cup of hot water and was surprised at how much that satisfied me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love every fantasy job you listed, especially an explorer of the Bermuda Triangle!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your list of dream jobs sounds very familiar. I've dreamed of most of the same ones. Maybe that's just part of the wiring of a writer's mind. I had a professor that said a good journalist was curious and someone that knew a little about everything, but not everything about any one thing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.