Friday, October 20, 2023

A Useless Warranty

After going through 4 different dryer timers on a GE dryer we purchased in 2019, we finally threw up our hands, tossed that thing out the door, and bought yet another new dryer on April 22, 2022.

We purchased a Speed Queen with a five-year warranty. It's the closest thing to a commercial dryer you can get.

I have known almost from the first that the timer on this dryer was not right. It is terribly spongy and won't stay where you put it. If you put it on "Most Dry" it won't even start, so you have to move it down a notch.

Sometimes I'd dry a load of towels and it would short cycle, and the towels would not be completely dry and I've have to run them through again.

So it was that Sunday night my husband threw some coats he'd washed into the dryer, and turned it on around 8 p.m.

When we got up to go to bed at 10 p.m., we realized the dryer was still running. It was incredibly hot - I don't know if his coats melted. The heat coming off the dryer was intense. The timer had not moved and the dryer was on its hottest setting and had been running that way for two hours (I hate to think what that did to the electric bill). 

Monday morning, I called the place where we purchased the dryer to see what I needed to do for service. The man was rather snotty with me because I didn't want to use the first person he told me to use and I asked for other service providers. We'd had the first person out last summer when the dryer door broke. We're still waiting on him to come back and do the repair he said he would. (We fixed it ourselves right after he left. With my husband recovering from hip surgery, no less. I unscrewed the door, and he figured out how to get the handle back on, and then I put the door back on. That guy was an idiot.)

Anyway, I called a different service provider and the fellow showed up Thursday. Nice guy, very empathetic to our situation, but he could only do what the tech people at Speed Queen would let him do, and they wouldn't let him replace the timer. They tried to say it was because we were running the timer counterclockwise. I assure you, I never run the timer on a dryer counterclockwise (aside from the time the timer broke on the GE, when I ran it counterclockwise and made it work through the weekend until we could get the part to fix it).

Now I am left with a dryer that runs, but I have to set the timer on the oven or Alexa when I start a load and go check it every 30 minutes. Sometimes the timer runs down like it should, sometimes it doesn't. So I can't trust this dryer. Can't throw a load of clothes in and run to the grocery store to have them finished when I return. Someone has to be home now when the dryer runs.

My choice here is to do this: keep using this dryer as it is and call the repair people and have Speed Queen pay for a visit every so often even if they don't replace the part (it's a warranty call, after all), or, since we have the part number, we can go get a new timer and replace it ourselves, which of course would void the warranty. I guess I will be sitting home watching the dryer go round and round for a while.

It's not like I have other things to worry about. Or a life to live.

Speed Queen, you suck. You made a bad dryer and you won't honor your warranty. You are worse than a cheap whore at a truckstop. You're a horrible company, and you can bet your sweet bippy that if this dryer burns my house down, I'm coming after you with every lawyer I can find, and I will own you before it's over and done. I don't care what your stupid paperwork says about liability. You've been warned with a service call and you chose the cheap way out to save a buck instead of doing the right thing.

You are not an honorable company, and you do not deserve a good reputation. I will never again write or speak well of this company. Speed Queen, you suck!



4 comments:

  1. It's hard to get anything good any more. I have a washing machine I absolutely hate, and I think it's going to last forever. It's a top loader HE they quit making after two years. I found out after I bought it that the HE washers with a top lid don't clean very well. I add Borax and Calgon, make sure to put Shout on spots... and I always use the soak feature, which means it takes one hour and 45 minutes to do a load. But I do end up with clean clothes now. I've had it 8 or 10 years, and I think it is going to live forever. Meanwhile, I am spending money on products I never used to have to buy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear you have had problems with your dryer. We have always bought Whirlpool, with no problems. We also have had gas dryers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so hard to find honorable companies these days. They'd rather sell you a warranty, take the money, and reject your claims like our shady insurance companies do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I read this, it occurred to me that I'm really lucky. It's important to be able to trust your dryer. If they run too hot, you may end up with fabric softener sheet stains on your clothes and I hate that! Anyway, I feel for you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.