Wednesday, August 02, 2023

I Did Not Go Fishing

Yesterday, I went to see the Barbie movie with a friend.

The movie is a tremendous statement about women, their role in society, and how things could be changed - if we only wanted to change it.

This is not a movie for children. This movie was made for women like me - and men with open minds - to throw back upon us the world as it is and as it could be. The political statements in this film are awesome and many.

It is no wonder I see women noting they've seen the movie multiple times at the theater. It is one I will watch again myself when it comes around to the small screen.

I may even buy the DVD. (They do still make DVDs, right?)

There is one monologue in the movie that I wish every woman could read. In fact, I found it online so I will put it here. The monologue is spoken by Gloria, a grown-ass woman who works for Mattel.

She says:

It is literally impossible to be a woman. You are so beautiful, and so smart, and it kills me that you don’t think you’re good enough. Like, we have to always be extraordinary, but somehow we’re always doing it wrong.

You have to be thin, but not too thin. And you can never say you want to be thin. You have to say you want to be healthy, but also you have to be thin. You have to have money, but you can’t ask for money because that’s crass. You have to be a boss, but you can’t be mean.

You have to lead, but you can’t squash other people’s ideas. You’re supposed to love being a mother, but don’t talk about your kids all the damn time. You have to be a career woman, but also always be looking out for other people. You have to answer for men’s bad behavior, which is insane, but if you point that out, you’re accused of complaining.

You’re supposed to stay pretty for men, but not so pretty that you tempt them too much or that you threaten other women because you’re supposed to be a part of the sisterhood. But always stand out and always be grateful. But never forget that the system is rigged. So find a way to acknowledge that but also always be grateful.

You have to never get old, never be rude, never show off, never be selfish, never fall down, never fail, never show fear, never get out of line. It’s too hard! It’s too contradictory and nobody gives you a medal or says thank you! And it turns out in fact that not only are you doing everything wrong, but also everything is your fault.

I’m just so tired of watching myself and every single other woman tie herself into knots so that people will like us. And if all of that is also true for a doll just representing women, then I don’t even know.

As you can see, this is not a movie for children. This is a movie that can move you to tears and make you laugh at the same time. It's definitely a movie that intelligent and empathetic women will love and enjoy.

Women who love being boy toys may not like it so much, but that's their problem. I never have made a good boy toy.

Anyway, if you are one of my faithful readers, then I suspect you will find a lot to like about Barbie. Otherwise, you wouldn't be here.

And yay for me for taking some time to go do something fun for a change.



3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the movie very much. Good for you for doing something fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw Barbie with my sister and her family, and we all enjoyed it. It is not a kids movie. My husband said he will see it when it comes out tv format. We saw Book Club 2 and Indiana Jones last month. We hope to see Oppenheimer next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it, too. It's playing at the theater around the corner from me and today, as I raced past it, I saw two women in their 30s meeting up to go in and see it. "Hi, Barbie!" they said to each other in greeting. Clearly they had seen it before. Statistically speaking, adult women don't go to the movies at the theater more than once; teenaged boys do. I thought, "This is more than a movie. This is a phenomenon."

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.