Thursday, July 13, 2023

Thursday Thirteen

I am having a year of reading eclectically. My reading habits so far have ranged from self-help to old literature to banned books. Here are 13 of the 44 I've read so far this year:


1. A Trick of the Light, by Louise Penny. The 7th book in the Inspector Gamache series finds our intrepid hero back in Three Pines to inspect the death that involves the art world. I had missed this one when I was going through the series last year, so went back and picked it up.

2. Unf#ck Your Brain, by Faith G. Harper. This failed as an audiobook, but it had some decent ideas in it. You can find worksheets that might be helpful at Faith G. Harper - Worksheets and Printables (faithgharper.com)

3. The Jasmine Throne, by Tasha Suri. This fantasy is set in a world inspired by ancient India and is thematically about the power of nature.

4. Born With Teeth, by Kate Mulgrew. The audio version was read by Mulgrew, and I enjoyed hearing about her childhood and her work, especially when it came to Star Trek: Voyager. It stops before her time with Orange is the New Black, though.

5. The Great Alone, by Kristin Hannah. This Hannah book is set in Alaska, and is a coming of age novel.

6. River Woman, River Demon, by Jennifer Givhan. This is a psychological thriller with a little folk magic thrown in for good measure. It was a recommended library read.

7. Carnival of Snackery, by David Sedaris. The writer-tragic comedian offered up more morsels of his observations of life.

8. Little Fires Everywhere, by Celeste Ng. I had resisted this book for some reason but found it a fascinating story, with life lessons in friendship, relationships, and community.

9. Of Mice and Men, by John Steinbeck. Man's inhumanity to man. Or maybe it was humanity? At any rate, a classic, and one that leaves you thinking.

10. Out of the Corner, by Jennifer Grey. Grey's memoir settles the question about her nose, although I was left scratching my head as to why she did what she did. Not for prudes or misogynists - this is a tell-all, and she slept with practically every hot young Hollywood dude before she married.

11. Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret, by Judy Blume. This is one of Blume's first novels for young ladies, and one that is frequently placed on the banned book list. Apparently, young women should not read about breasts and menstruation.

12. Will Grayson, Will Grayson, by John Green et al. This is another banned book. It is about two young men who are both named Will Grayson. One is homosexual, the other is not. 

13. Tarzan of the Apes, by Edgar Rice Burroughs. This story of the well-known Tarzan of the jungle actually surprised me at the end, since I was only familiar with the story through the old Johnny Weissmuller (I hope I have that right) movies that I saw when I was young.

*Bing AI created the image. 


Thursday Thirteen is played by lots of people; there is a list here if you want to read other Thursday Thirteens and/or play along. I've been playing for a while, and this is my 816th time to do a list of 13 on a Thursday. Or so sayth the Blogger counter, anyway.

4 comments:

  1. I don't read nearly that much but did just finish "Observer" by Robert Lanza. The TT I set up doesn't seem to be working. Maybe you could try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read The Great Unknown, Little Fires Everywhere, Are You There God, and Of Mice and Men; I've always been a big fan of John Steinbeck. I hear others mention Louise Penny, but the closest I've come to her is The Three Pines mystery on Amazon Prime Video. I'll bet her books are better than the show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched the first episode of Little Fires Everywhere, but never got any further. (I may go back to it.) It may be the same resistance you had to the book. They're still teaching Of Mice and Men (9th grade, where I am), so I ended up reading most of it through various classes I've covered.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 44 books already! That's impressive right there! One of my favorite ballplayers was photographed with Unfuck Your Brain and people thought it was a joke. I never read any Judy Blume books but my kid sister (born in 1965) read them all when she was young and loved them. Edgar Rice Burroughs is the pride of Oak Park, IL, about 30 minutes outside Chicago.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.