Saturday, July 15, 2023

Saturday 9: Touch Me in the Morning





Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it here.

1) In this song, Diana Ross sings that nothing good lasts forever. Do you agree?

A. I guess everything has an end, even a rock. "Good" is so subjective anyway. We assign goodness to many things, but most likely they are neither good nor bad. They just are.

2) She sings about a happy past with her lover, and the strength she'll need to face tomorrow alone. Do you find yourself more often remembering the past or anticipating the future? 

A. I try to stay in the here and now, but I do remember a lot of things from the past. I don't have a lot to look forward to at the moment, something I am trying to rectify.

3) In the 1970s, Diana Ross had young daughters. To spend maximum time with her girls, she would sleep all day when they were in school. That way she could have dinner with them, bathe them and put them to bed before going to the studio and recording all night. Have you ever worked the night shift? 

A. Not exactly. I had very late meetings to report on sometimes - they could go until midnight, and I always stayed until the end, when I was younger. But it wasn't exactly a shift. Just a very long day.

4) Diana has five children altogether. There's a 16-year age difference between her oldest daughter, Rhonda, and her youngest son, Evan. Studies have shown that when there's a big gap between siblings, parents consider the older kids "built-in babysitters." In your family, were the older kids ever in charge of the younger ones?

A. :::raises hand:: Older sister here. Yes, I was in charge of my brother. He was three years younger than I, and I feel like I practically raised him. Bless his heart.

5) She says her favorite sweet treat is Famous Amos Chocolate Chip Cookies. Do you have a favorite cookie?

A. Chocolate chip, but I prefer homemade Nestle's Toll House. I will eat Chips Ahoy if I have to eat a premade cookie, and the Pillsbury Dough cookies aren't bad.

6) Around the time she recorded this song, Diana Ross considered making a movie called The Bodyguard. She was to play a singer who received death threats, and Steve McQueen would portray the man hired to protect her. Scheduling conflicts prevented the movie from being made. It wasn't filmed until 1992, and then with different stars. Without looking it up, can you name stars of The Bodyguard?

A. Kevin Costner and Whitney Houston. "I Will Always Love You."

7) In 1973, when this song was #1, Norman Mailer was atop the best-seller list with his controversial biography of Marilyn Monroe. Do you often read biographies and memoirs?

A. I wouldn't say often, but I do read them. I have read several this year, including Jennifer Grey's book, Out of the Corner. This was an honest memoir, I thought. She's apparently working on some kind of Dirty Dancing sequel.

8) Also in 1973, another Motown singer, Stevie Wonder, was injured in an automobile crash and still has a scar on his nose to show for it. Have you ever been in a car accident?

A. Yes, but I was not seriously hurt. I had a huge contusion on my knee from hitting it against something, and I received whiplash, but I was otherwise fine.

9) Random Question: What's the last thing you borrowed or lent?

A. I borrowed a guitar pick from my father.

_______________

I encourage you to visit the posts of other participants in Saturday 9 and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.  

6 comments:

  1. I'll have to look for Jennifer Grey's memoir. From what I know of her -- and this is strictly superficial -- she's had an interesting life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooo....you know me and "Dirty Dancing," I'm going to have to get that Jennifer Grey book. I think our lives and what we look forward to are a matter of perspective. I'm usually relatively content with my life, but one of the guys I work with has made a couple of comments lately that kind of rocked me and made me think a bit about am I enjoying life, am I getting the most out of it, etc. I finally decided my life is fine for me. It only seems dull to him because he's in his 30's and a party animal...and I would have a lot of good things to say about his lifestyle,either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #3 That is the key… “when I was younger” I’m lucky to make it past 9!
    #8 I had a serious accident back in 1957 and my mother was in the hospital foe a couple of days. The sun-visor scalped her. Peeled all her hair back and she lost a lot of blood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. #4 A couple of times I was asked to sit for my niece and nephews. I hated it and they loved!
    Hearing screaming coming from the basement I go down to check them out and there were four little angels sitting their watching TV. It turned out they were given a noogie to their youngest brother. I’m too trusting.
    #8 I have been in a dozen of fender benders, none my fault, I do a lot of driving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My little sister was practically my first child, since she was 9 years younger than I was. But my brother... oh boy, it was open season between he and I. lol And chocolate chip cookies are a go to cookie for baking at my house, only now I make 4 and not a dozen. There are a lot of small batch recipes on Pinterest, and for EVERYthing you can bake, cook, or micro wave.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.