Saturday, July 01, 2023

Saturday 9: Over There

 Saturday 9: Over There (1942)

. . . because it's the 4th of July weekend. 

Unfamiliar with this rendition? Hear it here.



1) George M. Cohan wrote this song in 1917, inspired by our country's entry into WWI. It was not only popular with the young men who enlisted, it was reassuring to their families. Tell us about a time when music was a comfort to you.

A. Music has long been a comfort to me. When I play my guitar, I'm in the moment (practicing mindfulness without realizing it since 1974!) and it helps take my blues away. I'm fairly sure that all of my time playing music has kept me somewhat sane.

2) "Over There" was revived at the start of WWII, and President Franklin Roosevelt cited this song specifically when he awarded Cohan with the Congressional Gold Medal. What's your favorite patriotic song?

A. This Land is Your Land.

3) This rendition of the song is from the 1942 film, Yankee Doodle Dandy. James Cagney won an Oscar for his performance as George M. Cohan. Also nominated that year was Gary Cooper, who portrayed a different Yankee, Lou Gehrig, in Pride of the Yankees. Tell us about a movie biography you have enjoyed.

A. Does The Blind Side count? I like that movie.

4) Cagney had a rebellious streak. His boss, studio head Jack Warner, nicknamed Cagney, "The Professional Againster." Cagney joked that he was proud of the title. How about you? Are you rebellious?

A. I used to be. When I wrote for the newspaper, my middle name was "Trouble." The county administrator would see me, and he always said, "Here comes Trouble." Now I'm just old.

5) In the clip linked above, a woman sings with Cagney. Her name was Frances Langford, nicknamed the "GI Nightingale" because during WWII she performed for the troops at bases throughout Europe, North Africa and the South Pacific. Do you have any nicknames?

A. Trouble, as stated above, and a nickname my father gave me when I was born that I do not like for others to use.

6) In 1942, when audiences were enjoying this performance of "Over There" in movie theaters, the fashion trend was for mothers and their young daughters to wear identical dresses. Moms would buy lots of fabric and patterns for the same casual day dress in both their own sizes and their little girls'. Can you sew?

A. I can sew on a button and hem pants, but that's about it.

7) The Fourth of July means we're in the middle of summer. Are you careful about applying sunscreen?

A. I generally don't go out to sunbathe, so it's not foremost on my mind. 

8) Mosquito bites can be a major summer annoyance. Are you scratching any itches right now?

A. I have a new little set of moles on my thigh that itch. Eventually they will stop but new moles itch like crazy when they first come on.

9) Celebrity chef Rachael Ray says she considers mini-hamburgers, or "sliders," the All-American food. What will you be eating this 4th of July? 

A. I don't know right now. I'm not sure we will be doing anything special.

_______________

I encourage you to visit the posts of other participants in Saturday 9 and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.  

4 comments:

  1. I think The Blind Side counts. I mentioned it, too. I love Sandra Bullock in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #4: Now you've got that Elvis song, "Trouble," running through my mind. "If you're looking for trouble, look right in my face." That's you!

    #7: You're so lucky that you don't have to worry about sun damage! I can get burned while waiting at the bus stop or taking a long walk to the store.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy 4th of July!
    #1 I think music is like my photography, you can get lost in the “moment.”
    #9 I got some hamburger patties in the freezer, I think that I’ll thaw it out and grill it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the song This Land is Your Land too! Hemming and buttons covers the basic. I am sure I was called trouble as a child. Happy 4th Anita!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.