Friday, June 30, 2023

Fly Away

Yesterday as I was talking on the phone with a friend, I heard a "bam" against the front door.

I looked out and saw a bird fluttering on the porch. It looked dazed and confused.

The air was full of tree swallows, and they swirled around the hurt little bird, flying quickly in circles over it, so many that I could not count them. They flew fast and furiously, and my presence at the window did not deter them.

It was a magical site to see these beautiful blueish birds flying as if caught in a little tornado, round and round, over the head of the injured one.

I watched to see if the bird on the ground was simply dazed or hurt. It began fluttering and moving about, finally tumbling the inch from the porch onto the grass. I hung up the phone, and when I turned back, the birds were no longer flying around.

When I stepped outside to check, the one that banged into the door was gone. It had flown off to join the others.

It was pretty cool to see. It happened to fast I didn't get video or anything, but it really was a great moment with nature.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.