Sunday, June 25, 2023

Sunday Stealing


1. Would you rather ride a bike, ride a horse, or drive a car?

A. The appropriate ecological answer would be ride a bike or a horse, but I haven't been on a horse in 50 years, and I haven't been on a bike in about 40.

2. Who is your favorite author?

A. I don't have a favorite. I like different authors for different reasons. 

3. Would you rather vacation in Hawaii or Alaska, and why?

A. I would rather vacation in Hawaii, because it would be warmer there (probably too warm for me) and there is lots to see that I haven't seen.

4. If you could go back in time, what year would you travel to?

A. I would go back and watch the founding fathers write the U.S. Constitution so I could come back and explain what the 2nd Amendment is really supposed to mean, since no one seems to understand it.

5. What's your favorite zoo animal?

A. I don't have a favorite "zoo" animal. I like the exotic animals - lions, elephants, tigers - if they're not going to eat me.

6. What's the tallest building you've been to the top of?

A. Good question. I don't know the answer. It might be the local hospital. I have been to New York City and to Paris, but I didn't go to any tall buildings in either one that I recall. I know I didn't go up in the Eiffel Tower; it was pouring rain the day we were supposed to do that with my group, and no one wanted to do it so we went back to the Louvre instead. I am fairly sure I haven't been in the Empire State Building, but not 100%. I was there when I was 14 but I don't remember what all we did.

7. How often do you buy clothes?

A. Maybe once or twice a year, if that. 

8. What was the last thing you recorded on TV?

A. My husband records car shows. I don't remember the last thing I personally recorded. Maybe Everything Everywhere All At Once. I haven't watched it yet.

9. What was the last book you read?

A. The Summer I Turned Pretty, by Jenny Han, was the last audiobook I listened to. The last book I read was The Princess Bride, by William Goldman. I am currently listening to Will Grayson, Will Grayson, by John Green (it's on the banned book list, I am working my way down them), and I am reading Tarzan, Lord of the Apes, by Edgar Rice Burroughs.

10. What's your favorite type of foreign food?

A. Chinese, I guess, although I strongly suspect what passes for Chinese food around here is quite Americanized.

11. What kitchen appliance do you use every day?

A. The refrigerator and the microwave.

12. How old were you when you learned Santa wasn't real? How did you find out?

A. I was 5 when I found out. I was dusting for my mother and ran across a dish full of 50 cent pieces. The tooth fairy had just brought me a 50-cent piece for a tooth that I'd knocked out of my head in a fall. I quickly deduced that the tooth fairy money came from this dish, and that this dish belonged to my parents. From there it was a quick leap to knowing that my parents were the tooth fairy, and also the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus. I confronted my parents, who admitted such to me, but asked me to pretend for my brother. This I did, and I think he was close to 9 or 10 before he realized Santa did not exist.

13. What was your favorite subject in school?

A. English, although I also enjoyed history, civics (which given the state of things must not be taught anymore), and science. About the only thing I didn't like was phys ed.

14. What's the most unusual thing you've ever eaten?

A. Escargot. Or maybe a random bug.

15. What's your favorite family recipe?



__________

I encourage you to visit other participants in Sunday Stealing posts and leave a comment. Cheers to all us thieves who love memes, however we come by them.


7 comments:

  1. I wonder if the Founders with their muskets could have imagined a semi-automatic weapon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Summer I Turned Pretty is on Amazon Prime as a show also. I watched it last summer, it was cute. I think there is supposed to be a season two, but I haven't found it yet. I am reading Kristin Hannah right now. She never disappoints.
    You are right. Everyone was disappointed by the Santa thing. Loved your answers! Have a nice day! ♥

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to read all of the books on the banned books list, too. I have actually read some of them already so I was stunned when I saw them on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it a shame you can't t each civics any more? No wonder we have so many people devoted to the former guy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I grew up 20 minutes outside NYC and never visited the Empire State building or the twin towers. I was up in the Statue of Liberty but, its not as tall as the Skylon. Chocolate lush sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My school has a mandatory Civics class (which is a new class). Maine's Social Studies standards require it. I don't teach the course but I have a lot of creative ideas that would be fun to try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. #8: Let's see how you like Everything Everywhere All At Once. I found it unwatchable, but I bet you'll enjoy it. When it comes to sci-fi and fantasy, I think we just approach things differently. You: LOTR, me: Princess Bride. There you go. Variety is what makes the world go round!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.