Sunday, April 02, 2023

Sunday Stealing


1. Are you currently reading a book you'd like to tell us about? Maybe a TV program you can recommend to us?

A. Nora Roberts has a series of books called The Dragon Heart Legacy that I recommend if you like urban fantasies that are mostly Wiccan-like in the magic (and partially set in Ireland). On TV, Alaska Daily is a great series if you're interested in newspaper-based reporting, and like Hilary Swank.

2. Are you a Jane Austen fan? So many seem to be. If you are what is your favorite book and who is your favorite character.  If you aren't a fan, is there an author you especially like to read? Favorite character, etc?

A. I have read Jane Austen, but I'm not such a fan that I hunger for her work. I last read Pride and Prejudice. As for other authors, I read a variety of books and enjoy a long list of authors. Some of them would be Nora Roberts (see above), Kristin Hannah, Janet Evanovich, Janet Smiley, Louise Penny, Debbie Macomber, David Sedaris, Neil Gaiman, David Baldacci, Laini Taylor, etc.

3. How do you spend your time during the day?  Do you set apart time to read, watch TV, study?

A. I read, play video games, write a little, play guitar a little, and do lots of chores, which consist of cooking, laundry, doing the dishes, picking up, vacuuming, making the bed, etc. I don't set time aside for these things, they're just what I do to fill my time.

4. Have your beliefs changed in your lifetime?

A. Yes.

5. What are your interests and hobbies? reading? writing? collecting?

A. I am interested in lots of things and attempt some things like an occasional crochet piece. I write, I read, I play guitar. I don't really collect anything except books anymore and I'm trying not to do that. I have a lot of Santa Mouse figures that I have been given over the years by various friends.

6. How much time a week/day/month do you devote to your interests?

A. As much as possible.

7. Do you share your interests with anyone?

A. Not really.

8. Tell us why you enjoy your hobby, pastimes or interests.

A. What else am I supposed to do with my time?

9. What emotions and feelings does summer conjure up for you?

A. It brings up memories of childhood, when my brother and I stayed with my grandmother all summer. Those were great days.

10. What's summer weather like in your neck of the woods?

A. It can grow very hot - in the 90s - in late July and August. June used to be fairly cool, in the 70s, but it is also a rather hot month now. In the summer, the fireflies flit about, creating a dance in the back yard and in the trees in the pasture. The little frogs sing loudly at night, and the sky is brilliant with stars. The days are often too warm for me to spend much time outside, but the grass is green and the breeze makes whispers in the tree leaves.

11. Got some special summer meals you and your family enjoy?

A. We like watermelon. And tomatoes. But no special meals, really. Lots of salads.

12. What do you enjoy doing in summer? Sports, trips.. do you go on vacation?

A. We generally are home during the summer. My husband does most of his work during the warmer weather.

13. Did your parents have things better than you today?

A. Not in the beginning of their lives, but I think after they'd settled in, yes.

14. What time period would you rather live in? Or are you okay with today?

A. Today is where I am. Better to accept it than not.

15. What changes would you make for our time to make it nicer/better to live in?

A. Oh, I don't know. Everything has unintended consequences. You make one change here and it makes things worse over there. Mostly, I wish everyone would mind their own business and stop trying to push their values on others. 

__________

I encourage you to visit other participants in Sunday Stealing posts and leave a comment. Cheers to all us thieves who love memes, however we come by them.

6 comments:

  1. I think you would like Ann Cleeves' Vera Stanhope series of mysteries. Along the lines of Louise Penny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't thought about watermelon in summer, but I do love it (Walt doesn't, so I don't get it much). I've enjoyed Alaska Daily, but am behind several weeks. Now I'm working on getting caught up on Abbott Elementary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I meant to add that I just started watching Alaska Daily, and really enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know Neil Gaiman mostly from his graphic novels sich as Sandman, at least one of which is in this room.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved your answer about summer weather. You used such wonderfully descriptive language. I could hear the frogs and see the fireflies (lightning bugs)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We don't get fireflies here, but I recall seeing them in the US on a couple occasions - they are weird.

    "Mostly, I wish everyone would mind their own business and stop trying to push their values on others. " - I totally agree with this. It is one of the few things that really irritates me.

    :o)

    Cheers

    PM

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.