Thursday, March 09, 2023

Thursday Thirteen

About a year ago, my husband stopped chewing tobacco. His doctor would not perform his hip replacement surgery unless he gave up his nicotine. He was also told that returning to chewing would impede his hip replacement.

So, 13 good things about the end of my husband's habit in celebration of his year of going without the nasty stuff:

1. He isn't spending thousands of dollars on something he spits in a cup.

2. His teeth are much whiter.

3. There aren't bottles with tobacco spit sitting in my kitchen.

4. The trash can no longer smells like someone threw up a bag of Wintergreen Lifesavers.

5. There are no longer little flecks of black stuff all over the kitchen floor.

6. There are also no longer little flakes of black stuff all over the bathroom sink. (That's the tobacco he'd spill when he was putting it in his mouth; he can't see it anymore and won't wear his glasses.)

7. I don't have to worry about accidentally picking up a bottle and taking a swig of tobacco spit. (This only happened once, thank goodness.)

8. The probability of him developing mouth cancer has decreased significantly.

9. His muscles should be in better shape, as it is my understanding that the nicotine weakens muscles and keeps healing from happening. (That's what his doctor said, anyway.)

10. His breath smells better.

11. I don't know if the tobacco was a factor, but his blood sugar issues have decreased significantly.

12. His risk for heart disease was lessened when he stopped chewing tobacco.

13. My car (and I assume his truck) is cleaner because there aren't little specks of chewing tobacco or a stinking bottle of chewing tobacco spit in the vehicle.

__________________

Thursday Thirteen is played by lots of people; there is a list here if you want to read other Thursday Thirteens and/or play along. I've been playing for a while, and this is my 798th time to do a list of 13 on a Thursday. Or so sayth the Blogger counter, anyway.

4 comments:

  1. I admit some of these made me shudder. The thought of you accidentally gulping down ... OH, EW! Instead, let's just applaud your husband for making the right choice and doing the hard thing of kicking a decades-long habit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cliff chewed snuff for years. He quit because the dentist told him it wasn't good for his teeth, plus the fact it was getting high-priced, like all tobacco products. He was very clean about his chewing, and you couldn't tell when he had it in his mouth like some people, but I'm glad he quit several years ago. Now he can't stand the smell of the stuff when someone is around with snuff in their mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for your husband. I can imagine that was not easy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kudos to your husband for quitting and staying away... I know a few people who chew tobacco and know it is tough for them to stop.. but will be so much better for all if they do..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.