Sunday, January 22, 2023

Sunday Stealing


1. Pretend you are back in high school . . . what are you doing after school?

A. I am going to band practice. I played guitar in a garage band, and we rehearsed after school several days a week.

2. Do you do homework early or late? Do you really study?

A. I always did my homework. I was a straight A student, graduating 4th in my class. (In college, I graduated with honors.)

3. Do you go to the games? Football? Basketball? What is your favorite to attend?

A. I was in the high school band, so we attended most of the football games. I hated them because it was cold. We occasionally went to the home basketball games but not as often. I seldom attended a game unless I was in band, although I did go back for a home football game in October 1982, a year after I had graduated. I met my husband at that game.

4. Do you go to the dances? Prom? (what'd you wear?)

A. Once or twice, my band played the high school dance, so I was up on stage playing my guitar. I went to prom when I was a sophomore, and I wore a blue gown. I made my date take me by my grandmother's house so I could show her how I looked. My mother told me later that my grandmother cried because I chose to do that. I never went to my own prom.

4. Lunch! What are we having today? What is your favorite lunch?

A. I don't recall school lunches in the 1970s being much to brag about. In elementary school, there was always a little container of milk to drink. In high school, it was pretty much the same. We had not yet reached the point where you could have pizza or pick things from a cart. You went through a line and took whatever they offered, and you ate it or went hungry.

5. What kind of music do you like the best?

A. I like disco, even though most people don't. I also like soft rock, and southern rock. By that, I mean bands like the Eagles, the Allman Brothers, Linda Ronstadt, Bread, Air Supply, etc.

6. Does the radio play in your car and if so what station or kind of music plays?  Does music play in your home often?

A. In high school, I always had my radio on and it was tuned to whatever station played the Top 40 with Kasey Kasem. I listened to music in my room a lot, usually albums or cassettes that I made by copying the tunes from America's Top 40 Countdown.

7. What do you think of the music played in restaurants or stores? Do you find it relaxing or annoying?

A. Today, much of the music played in stores is the music of my high school years and I enjoy hearing it.

8. What part has music played in your life? What kind of music played at your wedding or at parties you have been to?

A. At my wedding, my brother sang, and the songs were Longer, by Dan Fogelberg and The Wedding Song (There is Love), by Peter, Paul, & Mary. A friend of my husband's played guitar. 

9. Is the farm for you? How about a ranch, a village or a city? Which is your choice and why?

A. I grew up on a farm and continue to live on a farm. I'm not sure it was a choice, exactly. The farm kind of came with the fellow I married.

10. A short auto trip for the weekend with friends or a long vacation? Where would you go?

A. Are we still in school? I'm confused with the time period of these questions. Right now, if I could, I would love to take a two-week vacation to Ireland, Scotland, and England.

11. The quiet life at home with a cuppa and TV or a good book or a night out with friends? Which sounds good today?

A. I generally go with the book, but my friends seldom ask me out anyway, nor do I ask them. We're all old homebodies.

12. You have a choice of dinner and a movie or a game of cards and snacks at the neighbors. Where are you going tonight?

A. Dinner and a movie.

13. Is there a hero or character on TV, in a book or a movie . . . or even on all three, that you are especially like? What do you find attractive about them?

A. I liked Supergirl when it was on, but it has ended its run. Kara Danvers, aka Supergirl, was strong yet empathetic and tried to do the right thing. At the moment I am watching Alaska Daily on the ABC app. It's about a journalist trying to uncover why indigenous women go missing and no one follows up on the cases. I empathize with the journalist, although as portrayed by Hillary Swank she's a bit on the brusque side and overconfident.

14.  Was there a book that was better in movie form? How about a movie you thought didn't live up to the book?

A. I think the Lord of the Rings movies by Peter Jackson are better than the books, but generally I try not to compare books with their movies. They're different methods of telling a story, so of course they are not going to be the same.

15. When you choose a book, program or movie which subject it is most likely to be: science fiction, mystery, romance, comedy, documentary, etc.? What draws you to a particular book or movie?

A. I read fantasy, particularly those that have strong female heroines. I also enjoy cozy mysteries, such as Sue Grafton's books. I have read all of Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books except the last one, but they've become terribly formulaic. I like Louise Penny's books, too. I am drawn to books that have strong females in them. I always have been, ever since I began reading Nancy Drew books.

__________

I encourage you to visit other participants in Sunday Stealing posts and leave a comment. Cheers to all us thieves who love memes, however we come by them.


6 comments:

  1. I'm with you for #7! #8--And what lovely songs you had at your wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a fan of that Supergirl series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your song choices. I also liked Disco and went a few times. The guy in the prom picture is who I married. We had the Wedding song too. I guess some would call the Left Behind Series Sci-Fi. I need to read more. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved basketball the best, and only went to a few football games in High School.
    What a sweet thing that your brother sang at your wedding. Those were tender moments and memories, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That reminds me - I was in the school orchestra and the "brass group" - playing a trombone. I would love to see if I can still play now (having given up at 16).

    I wouldn't mind living on a farm for a couple of days. Never done it.

    I watched Supergirl too - a little to "girly" for me but I stuck with it.

    :o)

    Cheers

    PM

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a friend who was a Canadian indigenous woman. When she called her voice moved me, even when she only had said "Hello." We blogged together and were talking each day. I learned a lot about her family history, supported her in her search for her sister and when she finally found her. Our bond grew stronger... but suddenly I couldn't get in touch anymore.
    Managed to contact a secretary from an organisation she worked for. She told me she was found murdered, but was afraid to give me more information by mail..in case...

    It still bugs me.
    I still miss her.

    Why do people such things?
    And why is there still not enough known?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.