Monday, January 23, 2023

General Update

The Shower

We seemed to have fixed the issue with the shower. It is no longer shocking us, anyway. We had the power company out, and it still shocked me that night but not my husband. We also removed the stainless steel handheld body washer and replaced it with the original brass-covered one, which seemed to help. Finally, we replaced the water heater elements, even though the ones we had in it were new. We had put them in just before Christmas, but I suppose new things don't always work properly.

Whatever it was, the electricity in the shower has stopped. It was a slightly terrifying to step off the bathmat while soaking wet and naked to touch something, though.

Husband's Health

Husband went to the doctor last week for blood work. It was posted to his chart over the weekend. If my bloodwork was that good, my doctor would moonwalk. He has great cholesterol/lipid numbers, his blood sugar issues are under control, and except for the stuff that indicates gout, he is doing great.

Rental House

Our tenant had let one of the pipes burst during the bad freeze over Christmas. I say "let" because he had chosen not to purchase propane to heat the house, even though we'd reminded him since October not to let the pipes freeze. He did. He is moving out at the end of the month. We have new folks lined up to move in mid-month. I have concerns about the two or three weeks it will be empty, as far as keeping it heated so the pipes don't freeze again, but we will figure something out.

What I'm Reading

I'm listening to Unf#ck Your Brain, by Dr. Faith G. Harper. A good reminder of things I already know, although this is the first book I've listened to that is so full of curse words that I found it distasteful after a while. I don't mind cursing occasionally - I curse myself - but she uses it too much, especially for a book. It might not be so bad if I were only reading it.

I'm reading The Jasmine Throne, by Tasha Suri. This is a fantasy, with multiple narrators, and a complex world. I've already discovered I need to read on it every day or I forget who is who doing what.

How I Am

I learned a new cover song, so that's one New Year's goal down. You can hear it here if you haven't listened to it already. 

My chronic pain issues continue; I suspect I need to go back to physical therapy soon. I haven't been since 2019.  My weight is stable, but I am not losing (I haven't been making an effort at that anyway, at the moment, but at least I am not gaining). My ulcer seems healed finally, although certain foods do not agree with me (tomatoes and chocolate, still, are issues). The January blues are hovering around, but I try to chase them off when I notice them. I am cranky around my husband. He's been retired for two years, and I still haven't adjusted to having him home all the time.

My ears have been giving me trouble for months. They hurt, and I have been using a homeopathic mixture, which helps with the pain and has had the benefit of sometimes helping my tinnitus. Since Christmas, when we had no power and the house was very dry, I've had a sinus issue. It's not an infection, but every now and then stuff drains down my throat and I nearly choke on it, and then I hack up a wad of bloody mucus. Since I don't feel bad I haven't checked with my doctor, but this is not normal for me. Dr. Google says its sinusitis. The ear pain may go along with it. Maybe I need to send my doctor a note and ask about it.

I am trying to finish up the taxes for 2022; then I need to reevaluate where I am.

Aside from this blog, I am not writing.

It's the Year of the Rabbit, and I'm a Rabbit. So, it should be time for me to get hoppin'!


3 comments:

  1. Hi Anita. I have sinusitis and tinnitus, but never any blood. I would have it checked out. I have itchy ears and sometimes will cut myself in my ear. My acid reflux was bugging me after Christmas. Probably from all the chocolate and spicy food I was eating. We don't run our heater much because it dries out our sinuses and leaves us with a sinus headache. We don't have freezing weather. We may get into the mid 30's at night, but blankets keep us warm. Take care!♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, feel the January blues hovering. I have my annual physical tomorrow and I'm curious to see how my bloodwork numbers fare.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The blood in the drain can indicate infection even if you don't feel bad. Also, look into using a humidifier as dry air in the house can cause tiny vessels in the sinus and nose to rupture. I let water simmer in a huge pot on the stove through winter. It cuts down on heat needed and improves the sinuses for me. Maybe it would help you as well. Be well my friend.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.