Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Possibilities

Rain and possibly freezing rain, meaning ice, are in the forecast for tomorrow. 

Not my favorite kind of weather.

One year, some time ago, we had inches of ice. The entire area glistened and twinkled.

Then it started cracking. I opened the door to hear the trees breaking. I listened - and sometimes watched - the limbs crack, the trees fall to the ground under the dead weight of the ice.

Snap! Snap!

It was terrifying, a bit like a gun going off. The world was still because the wind hadn't picked up yet, and the sounds of the trees breaking echoed off of my hill. It was unnerving, and unsettling, because I like trees.

I didn't want the trees to be hurt.

Mother Nature has to do a bit of pruning sometimes, though, to make way for new growth and climate changes. I've seen the microcosms of eco systems around me change. All it takes is the removal of one tree - sometimes one limb - for the things growing beneath to change. Add sunlight and heat because the tree no longer gives shade, and the ferns won't grow.

It doesn't take much, really, to change the landscape.

A bit more rain. Or a bit less. More clouds, less sunshine. Or vice versa. 

Something dies. Something grows.

Change is coming.

I can feel it in the air.


From 2007.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.