Saturday, September 03, 2022

Saturday 9: Blue Collar Man

Saturday 9: Blue Collar Man (1978) 

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) In this week's song, we hear a job equated with security. Tell us something that gives you a sense of security.

A. My house gives me security. It's my safe space.
 
2) Lead singer Tommy Shaw hopes someone will make him an offer he can't refuse. That's a reference to a famous movie quote. Without looking it up, can you name the film? 

A. No. I want to say it has something to do with shooting pool, but that's probably not correct.

3) Shaw recalls that this song was inspired by a friend of his, a blue-collar worker who had been laid off and was frustrated by the process of job hunting. His friend wanted to work, not fill out forms and job applications and wait days for a response! Do you quickly become impatient?

A. No "quickly" but I am not fond of delays, either. Patience is something I've been working on.

4) The name "Styx" wasn't the top choice of anyone in the band. As founding member Denis DeYoung recalled, "It was the only name none of us hated." Tell us about a recent compromise you made (which TV show to watch, toppings on your pizza, etc.).

A. We have found the DVR Genie with DirecTV to be a great compromiser; he gets to watch his shows and I get to tape mine. I think I'm the one who compromises there. Would you agree?

5) Labor Day was introduced to celebrate the achievements of the American worker. How many different employers have you had?

A. Let's see. I babysat for numerous people. Worked for my father a little while, then a machine shop, then a lawyer, then a credit union, back to another lawyer, spent some time with a couple of temp agencies, another lawyer, a law firm, another lawyer, the newspaper on staff, another lawyer - then went to work for myself as a freelancer and loads of part-time gigs. I honestly can't give a number, so I will go with "a lot."

6) The first Waffle House was opened on Labor Day, 1955. What's your preference: waffles or pancakes?

A. Pancakes with the blueberries in the pancake, not on top.

7) Labor Day mattress sales are a big business. Experts tells us we can expect to spend $1,000 for a good-quality queen-sized mattress. Will you be buying a new one -- or perhaps making another big-ticket purchase for your home -- before year end?

A. No new mattress, and as far as I know, no big purchases, although I would like a better computer. I don't know that this will happen this year, however.

8) Will you be attending a Labor Day picnic or barbecue? 

A. Not to my knowledge.

9) Labor Day is the unofficial start of fall. Have you had any pumpkin spice yet?

A. I would not eat it, Sam-I-Am. I would not eat it my house, I would not eat it with a mouse. I would not eat it in a cake, it would not be in anything I bake. I do not like it, my dear Sam. I don't like pumpkin, Sam-I-Am.

_______________
I encourage you to visit the posts of other participants in Saturday 9 and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.  

6 comments:

  1. I do pumpkin pie or pumpkin roll, but not the drinks and not even the smell in a candle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another pumpkin hater! I can't imagine. I love the stuff.
    I hear you on the computer. Mine gets worse and worse and I can't get the printer to work with it no matter what I do. The printer says it's connected and the laptop says it's connected, but I hit print and nothing happens. I just need a new one of each but with this crappy economy that's going to have to wait a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a lot of jobs! I like you Sam -I-Am!

    ReplyDelete
  4. #6 I had blueberry pancakes for breakfast this morning.
    #9 Ah... finally someone else who doesn't like pumpkins!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is funny, #9!
    I agree with you on #1! I feel safer when I am home. Loved your answers. Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.