Saturday, July 16, 2022

Saturday 9: Brandy


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
 
1) This song opens in a bar where lonely sailors reminisce about their homes. How long have you lived at your current residence? Does it feel like home?

A. I have lived at my current residence for 35 years. I hope it feels like home after all that time.

2) Brandy is a waitress at the bar. Have you ever worked at a job where you received tips?

A. I have not.
 
3) Brandy wears a locket on a braided chain. Are you wearing any jewelry as you answer these 9 questions?

A. I have on earrings and my watch.

4) According to the lyrics, the sailors seem to prefer whisky or wine. What's your go-to adult beverage?

A. I drink only water.

5) This song was such a big hit that, after its release, Brandy became a popular name for newborn girls. Do you know anyone named Brandy?

A. I do! My neighbor's name is Brandy.

6) Barry Manilow scored a hit in 1974 with "Mandy." That song was initially called "Brandy," but it was changed to avoid confusion with this record. Do you have a favorite Barry Manilow song?

A. I Write the Songs.
 
7) In 1972, when this song was popular, residents of South Dakota endured a catastrophic flood when Rapid Creek overflowed. Give us a little geography lesson: what body of water is nearest you?

A. The nearest "body of water" is our pond, which flows into Ruhlman Branch, which flows into Tinker Creek, which flows in the Roanoke River, which flows into Smith Mountain Lake, and then somehow or another makes a turn into North Carolina, where it flows into the ocean. The James River, which eventually flows into the Chesapeake Bay, is down the road a little way.
 
8) Also in 1972, the first women were permitted to run in the Boston marathon. Have you ever visited Boston?

A. I have not visited Boston.

9) Random summertime question: Would you prefer to swim in a pool, a lake/river, or the ocean?

A. I prefer a pool, preferably a private one and not a public one. People pee in public pools. Yuck.

 _______________
I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.  

8 comments:

  1. I think we are the only ones who liked "I Write the Songs." I'm surprised with your love of history that you've never been to Boston. My one visit was far too brief. I want to go back. It is full of all that history, but also the most marvelous parks and green spaces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to be more like you. I don't drink anywhere near enough water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh goodness yes. I agree with you on a private pool.
    I love that you only drink water. I am trying to drink more. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. #4 I don't drink enough water, my kidney function is down because of not enough of water.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agreed about the private pool. Although I do like walking on the sand with waves lapping my feet--preferably the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How nice to have a pond on your property. As for Covid, I was vaxed and it has felt like a bad head cold. I am isolating so my hubby does not get it. He is vaxed too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your county is so FULL of history! I would love to see the Roanoke River, the James and Chesapeake Bay. I have geologist/rock collector's passion for old rocks! Penn and Ohio are the same, with more fossils there - very old ones.. That Area was/is part of one of the ancient land masses, Pangea. You live on Interesting land, too, being on the roots of some Massive Ancient mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I heartily agree about pools! I had forgotten about I Write the Songs.. it is a lovely song I have always liked as well. I love that you know the path of that pond. So much history in Virginia.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.