Saturday, June 18, 2022

Saturday 9: Yesterday


Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it here.

Chosen because June 18 is Paul McCartney's 80th birthday. 

1) Paul McCartney sings that yesterday all his troubles seemed so far away. Can you recall a time when your life seemed carefree?

A. Not really. I was born old. Maybe the summers when I stayed with my grandmother during the day were like that, carefree. I have always been a worrier, though, and I don't remember them as carefree, just anxiety ridden.

2) He has always insisted the melody to "Yesterday" came to him in a dream. Did you dream last night?

A. I am sure I did, but I don't recall it.

3) The lyrics were inspired, in part, by the death of Paul's mother when he was 14. Thirteen years later, he named his daughter Mary after her. Are you named after anyone? If you're a parent, did you name your children in honor of anyone?

A. To my knowledge, I am not named after anyone, although my grandfather, whose name was Joseph Eugene, took my middle name, Jeanne, to be in his honor. My mother said it was not, though.

4) Over the years, Paul has performed on bass, acoustic and electric guitars, keyboards and drums, but not the first instrument he owned: the trumpet. A present from his dad for his 14th birthday, he exchanged the trumpet for a guitar because, "you can't sing while playing the trumpet." Have you more recently a) exchanged a gift, b) donated a gift you didn't want to charity or c) regifted?

A. I've most recently purchased a gift, which isn't an option listed. I can't remember when I've last done any of the available options. Pre-pandemic, maybe.

5) Paul grew up seeing how much his dad enjoyed placing a bet and then listening to the horse race from his favorite armchair in the living room, so he took his salary from making the film A Hard Day's Night and surprised his father with a racehorse. After father and son proudly watched Drake's Drum win at Liverpool's Aintree Racecourse, the horse retired to Paul's farm in Scotland. If money were no object, what gift would you give a loved one?

A. My husband wants a red Ferrari. I have no idea why, but if money were no problem, I'd buy him one.

6) Paul is considered one of the world's wealthiest entertainers, worth an estimated $1.2 billion. This month, as he approaches his 80th birthday, he is winding up a 16-city North American tour, during which he performs 30+ songs in a 2-hour, 40-minute show. If you had all the money you needed, would you continue to work? Or would you kick back and relax?

A. I am a writer first and foremost, and I suppose I will always write something, even if it is only in my journal. But I wouldn't worry about money so much.

7) Paul first joined the Beatles when he was recruited into the band by John Lennon. They met as teenagers when Paul showed up at a church picnic where John's band was performing. Paul recalls pedaling over on his bike to hear them, his guitar flung over this back. When did you most recently ride a bike?

A. Years and years and years ago.

8) Paul met his first wife, Linda, at a London club and then again four days later when she was a photographer at a press party for Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band. Think about one of your romances. Where did you meet?

A. My husband and I met under the goal posts at the football field at the high school.

9) TV journalist Barbara Walters played matchmaker for Paul and his current wife, Nancy. During the summer of 2007, when Paul was vacationing in The Hamptons, Barbara repeatedly and intentionally invited them to the same parties and picnics. Have you had any success in a matchmaking scenario -- as either the matchmaker or one of the dates?

A. I don't try to be a matchmaker. Those things never work out for me. No successes here that I am aware of, anyway.

_______________
I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.  

5 comments:

  1. Meeting under the goal posts sounds very romantic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often describe my mom has having been born an old soul. I don't ever remember her as being carefree or talking about any time in her life that she seemed to view that way. It makes me feel kind of sad for her...and for you. Every kid should get to experience some times of being carefree.
    The story of where you and your husband met has me humming songs from Grease for some reason. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. #1 BSJ* life was carefree we used to be outside playing from sun up until well after it set.
    *Before Summer Jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you met your husband. Something so romantic about that. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. #5 makes me happy for some reason--I guess I think of firemen as practical!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.