Saturday, May 14, 2022

Saturday 9: Give A Little Love


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

In memory of Naomi Judd (1946-2022)

1) In this week's song, the Judds tell us they aren't impressed by diamonds or foreign travel. If you had your choice, would you prefer a $1,500 diamond pendant or a $1,500 voucher from United Airlines?

A. The diamond pendant. I could sell that and get something I really wanted, like a new guitar or a good gaming computer.

2) In the video for this song, the Judds are shown having fun on the beach. Do you have any trips to the beach planned for the upcoming summer months?

A. We have no vacations planned at the moment.

3) Early in their career, this mother-daughter duo performed in clubs venues around San Francisco, where they called themselves The Hillbilly Women. Have you recently been to a bar or restaurant with live music?

A. I haven't eaten in a restaurant since last August (2021). They did not have live music. Prior to that, I hadn't been in a restaurant since maybe November 2019.

4) They moved to Nashville in 1979 in search of greater success. During the three years it took them to score a record contract, Naomi supported the family as a part-time nurse and occasional model. She enjoyed the flexibility so her schedule could accommodate auditions. Do you like having a pre-planned schedule? Or would you rather keep things loose?

A. I like deadlines but how I get to them needs to be unplanned.

5) Wynona sang the Elvis classic "Burning Love" in 2002 Disney movie Lilo and Stitch. What's the most recent Disney movie you've seen?

A. Beauty and the Beast
 
6) In 2011, Wynona wrote her first novel, Restless Heart, about a country singer struggling with the price of fame. Have you ever tried your hand at writing fiction?

A. Yes, but I have not been very successful at it. I had a short story published a long time ago, and I won a couple of writing contests, but that's it.

7) Kid sister Ashley Judd is the only woman in her immediate family to not change her first name. Naomi was born Diana, and Wynona was originally Christina. Do you like your first name?

A. Yes.
 
8) In 1988, the year this song was popular, Sonny Bono went from entertainer to politician when he was elected Mayor of Palm Springs. Have you met the mayor of your town?

A. I don't live in a town, I live in a county, but I know all of the supervisors who run the county, and the county administrator, and I know most of the mayors and council members of the nearby towns.

9) Random question: Were you a member of the Columbia House Record Club?

A. I tried to be. I sent off my nickel or dollar or whatever it was, but I never got anything back for it.

_______________
I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.  

5 comments:

  1. I think your response to #1 is probably the wisest. And I'm sorry someone at Columbia House kept your $1. When I was a kid and joined, my mother recommended I let her write a check (and I had to pay her the 10¢ check fee) for this very reason. The older I get, the more I appreciate my mom's common sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't even think of your plan for #1! Clever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know why I didn't think of selling the diamond. Of courses that's the best answer. I'm surprised you had to send something to Columbia and didn't get anything. They sent me stuff and I was supposed to pay for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. #6 I can think up dozens of plots but the character development and conversation is beyond me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't technically live in a town, either. It's actually a sort of weird set up. I live in a township, but am physically only about half of a mile outside of the town limits and my mailing address is the town. It can get messy explaining it on some forms.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.