Friday, December 31, 2021

Going Back to Hippie Me

I had forgotten, really, that I was a 1970s version of a hippie when I was younger.

Once I discovered blue jeans and got away from my mother's version of what a girl should look like, I became the epitome of a young woman who lived in blue jeans and T-shirts. Or blue jeans and blouses.

And hats.

I wore lots of hats.

My brother reminded me of this Christmas Eve, when he presented me with this photo from my past:


That's my brother, my mother, and me.

My father must have taken this shot. According to my brother, it had 1976 on the back, so I would have been 13 years old, and my brother 10. He looks very much like he belongs in The Brady Bunch in this picture.

I, on the other hand, look like a hippie from the far hills, with my jeans, oversized coat, dark glasses, and hat.

We apparently were on a hike. My mother has a walking stick leaning against her, and I have one in my hand. My brother has a knife at his side, perhaps to kill saber toothed tigers with, or some such.

I have no memory of this picture, the hat, or the coat. The glasses, I think, were the kind that darkened in sunlight. 

Dressing like that, though, brings back some flimsy memories. Memories of my mother fretting because I refused to dress up anymore. She hated my hats. 

I hated dressing up more than she hated my hats and blue jeans, I guess. Or maybe she didn't think my wardrobe was worth fighting over after a while.

Now I dress like a frumpy old woman. I think it's time to go back to being a hippie. I shall have to look for hippie clothes for large women.

Mamma Cass pulled it off back in the 1960s, right?

I should be able to figure this out for 2022.

So long as I'm wearing pants. Ain't no way I'm going back to wearing a dress.

4 comments:

  1. What a great picture! In 1977 I was in my junior year at UCI. Hippie days for me were back in the 60's. We had leather fringed moccasins and purses. We had a leather necklace with the peace sign. I liked the short skirts, but mom kept us from wearing them too short. We didn't get to wear pants to school until 1969. I wore jeans and shirts my whole time at UCI. I had a backpack the whole time. We did not use them in high school. I am sure you can find jeans. Walmart has larger sizes with elastic waist bands. I got some too and they are comfortable. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last night we movie nerds brought in the new year with a movie from 1934. EVERYONE wore hats! Men stood before the mirror adjusting them. Women had hat pins. We all commented on how divine they looked. So I say, "up your hat game!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I could live in PJs, I would. I do like Lane Bryant's jeans, very much. Not cheap, but they fit, and that's something. I haven't worn a dress since wedding number 2 way back in 1988. Last time. I never liked the dang things.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.