Saturday, September 11, 2021

Remembering September 11

Twenty years ago on this day, I, along with most Americans, watched the aftermath of two hijacked planes crashing into The Twin Towers in New York City. As a nation, we watched the towers collapse in a swirl of dust, debris and screams.

The 9/11 attacks are a sober reminder for me of how badly the US government sometimes behaves in world relations, how poorly some citizens of this world think of this country, and how hard our people work, pray, and play.

September 11 also reminds me that all in the world are a part of the circle of life. Everyone, regardless of race, color or creed, deserves a chance to live. That includes bankers in the World Trade Center and Iraqis huddled in their homes during bombings in Baghdad, shooting victims in schools and theaters, people who catch Covid-19, and everyone else who is robbed of their life prematurely.

I hope for peace every day and I wish for wisdom in the leaders who hold the decisions for such things in the palms of their hands.

Perhaps one day issues will be resolved without bloodshed and tears, and the world will lose its hatred for one another and embrace good will. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening any time soon.

Now we are more divided than ever, the world over. I remember that not long after the TV coverage began to die down, a feeling of helplessness settled over me. I think it settled over much of the nation. For many it never went away. I'm not sure it will. It left many feeling emasculated and I don't believe that has yet been assuaged.

The government used the attacks as a reason to implement the USA PATRIOT ACT, which abolished many civil liberties, including the right to check out what you wanted from a library without being turned into the police if somebody thought it was suspect. Unfortunately, while some of this kind of behavior settled down, the current atmosphere encourages these types of activities, particularly where it pertains to immigrants, women having abortions, or anyone perceived as "other."

The government also began spying on emails and telephone conversations and doing other Big Brother things. I seriously doubt that ever stopped.

I wish that love, not vengeance and revenge, had been the lesson learned from September 11, 2001. Because for a day or two there, we united as a nation, grieving and striving to rescue those in harm's way, and much of the world stood with us, too.

If only it had lasted.

From one end of the world to the other, we are all connected, each and every one. There is now so much hate, so much death. What can a person do in the face of so much anger and despair?

* * *
On this day I also remember the 343 firefighters who lost their lives in the Twin Towers. There is no greater sacrifice than to perish while trying to save others. May they be at peace.




2 comments:

  1. Hi Anita, I enjoyed your post and I did one also on 911 and where we are at now as a country. I have been watching programs with the hubby for the couple of days and can't watch anymore. It is so depressing. Our nation is so divided. It saddens me to think how so much was made about the pull out of a foreign country and what happened to our own country on January 6th has been hushed. Terrorism is horrible, but when it is in your own country, it really is sad. We are suppose to be in the land of the free, but we are losing so much in so many ways. I will keep praying through it all. I like the picture you posted at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thoughtful, hopeful, and sad. I feel helpless too...like I'm dog paddling across an endless lake with no shore in sight,hoping one shows up soon. The change in administration gave me hope, and I pray we can keep it together for the next onslaught. Thanks for your word, both here and on my Sat9. <B

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.