Tuesday, August 17, 2021

No One's Child

This is a song I have been working on for a while. The chorus came to me first, and the rest of it eventually fell into place.

This is a ballad (I guess). I am using an electrified acoustic guitar along with a Boss loop station. A loop station (also called a looper) allows me to add stuff to the song like lead guitar playing while strumming. You will see it toward the end.

I only got the looper this weekend so I'm still learning how to use it, and I think I go flat on the first line because I'm still sniffling a bit with my sinuses, but I needed to get this recorded before I forgot the tune.

So here is No One's Child.



Here are the words to the song:

No One’s Child
By Anita Firebaugh

My momma she was a broken tree upon a rocky shore.
My daddy was a drunken sea, a storm when I was born.
Between the waves and the killing tree
There was never hope for me.
There was never hope for me.
And I am no one’s child. I run eager, free, and wild.
And I drift along like deadwood in a stream.
I was born to bleed
To always have this ache and need.
With nightmares in my sleep, I do not dream.
With nightmares in my sleep I do not dream.
My sister was the silver moon, she fed me fruit and grain
My brother was a thunder boom, he brought me wind and rain.
Between the thunder and the moon
I grew up too soon.
Yes I grew up too soon.
And I am no one’s child. I run eager, free, and wild
And I drift along like deadwood in a stream.
I was born to bleed, To always have this ache and need.
With nightmares in my sleep, I do not dream.
With nightmares in my sleep, I do not dream.
(Guitar solo)
Whispered: No one’s child.  I am no one’s child.  No one’s child. Etc.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Anita, I enjoyed your song. You remind me of Janis Ian. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like that came out of your own past. I almost forgot about this: When I first looked at this blog entry, my husband was in the house watching TV and I figured I'd come back and listen when he went outside. I'm glad I finally remembered. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I don't have a sister, so not exactly, but most writers leave bits and pieces of themselves in their work, I suppose.

      Delete
  3. That's a great little song. I hope you are proud of it.

    I love the lyrics.

    :o)

    Cheers

    PM

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.