Wednesday, July 07, 2021

Local Artists at the Museum

On the lower floor of the History Museum of Western Virginia, they had a display of local current artisans/crafts persons' works. I was familiar with the three they highlighted.

Jake Cress is a woodworker with a sense of humor.
 


I am fairly sure the real chair he made like this is in the Smithsonian, but I could be wrong. This was a tiny replica.


Jake Cress's Hickory Dickory Dock clock. It is really cool in person.


This table by Jake Cress, with a mouse coming out of Aladdin's Lamp, is also a lovely piece of furniture.


These copper pieces were made by Porter Caldwell, who, I am sorry to say, is no longer with us. His business lives on with his understudy. The website is here.






The above three pieces were made by Bill Simmons (the corner cabinet) and Willie Simmons, his son (the second two pieces). Bill Simmons is no longer with us, but his son makes exquisite pieces, bowls like the one above, and all sorts of wood-turned pieces. He does extraordinary work. I'm not sure how Fincastle ended up with such terrific wood workers, but the little town did.

These were the last pieces I wanted to show from our adventure at the museum. Local art should be encouraged, and while I can't afford as much local work as I'd like, I enjoy showcasing it here on my blog when I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.