Saturday, June 12, 2021

Saturday 9: Ain't That a Kick in the Head


Unfamiliar with this song? Hear it here.

1) Dean Martin asks the musical question, "How lucky can one guy be?" Tell us about a time when you got a lucky break.

A. In April 2014, I was driving a 2003 Camry. I was also dealing with health issues. The car doors decided they would lock and not open. I told my husband about it but it wasn't until I became trapped in the car, with him outside of it, during an important doctor's visit, that he decided this was something that needed to be dealt with immediately. Obviously it had become a matter of life and death if I couldn't get out of the car (or in it, for that matter). We went to the dealership in Christiansburg to look at used vehicles. We hadn't anticipated a new car purchase then. As we drove a used Camry around the lot, we puttered through the new cars. They had a new Camry on the lot that cost less than the used one we were testing out - and it had more features (like heated seats!). We bought the new one, and I still have it. It has less than 50,000 miles on it so I'm not doing a lot of driving.

2) This song was introduced in the original Ocean's 11 movie. Have you seen it, or the remake and its sequels?

A. I've seen parts of the sequels and the remake. I have never sat down to watch the movies.

3) All the Ocean's movies are about heists. Why do you suppose audiences enjoy watching caper films?

A. Everybody likes to think they can get away with something. There seems to be a subtle joy in flaunting the law, however minor the offense.
 
4) Dean was born in Steubenville, OH. Though he seldom returned to his hometown, he kept Steubenville in his thoughts, regularly donating toys to area children hospitalized over the holidays. Who received the last gift you gave?

A. My brother. It was his birthday.
 
5) Dean was extremely claustrophobic and avoided elevators whenever possible -- and even when it wasn't. He was late for the first night of an engagement, even though he was staying at the hotel where he was performing, because he insisted on taking the stairs from his luxury suite to the showroom (18 flights). The hotel put him in a smaller, less prestigious room on a lower floor so he could more easily arrive on time for his own shows. Have you ever been stuck in an elevator?

A. I have never been stuck in an elevator, but I also do not like them. I once got off an elevator at the hospital, leaned against the wall, slid down it, and passed out on the floor. I wasn't a patient, I was visiting someone else. The nursing staff brought me to with ammonia and made me sit at their desk for a while, since I declined to go to the emergency room.

6) He and Frank Sinatra were great friends, but they had their differences. For example, Frank loved to party and Dean hated it. One of Sinatra's favorite stories was about how Dean got bored with a party in his own home and went up to his bedroom to watch TV. When the guests didn't take his hint and leave, Dean made an anonymous noise complaint to the police, who came over and broke up the party. When it comes to parties, are you more like Frank or Dean?

A. Dean. I'm not big on parties. Or places with many people.

7) Dean Martin had a secret passion for comic books. He loved them, but was too embarrassed to buy them himself. What's your guilty pleasure?

A. It used to be eating chocolate but I no longer eat chocolate. Eating potato chips, maybe.

8) In 1960, when this song was released, Princess Margaret married photographer Antony Armstrong-Jones. Their relationship began when he was commissioned to take her official portrait. Who took the most recent picture of you?

A. I showed up in a photo someone took on May 22 at my nephew's engagement party. I don't know who took the picture.

9) Random question (Not really so random, considering Dean Martin's reputation): Do you have a hangover remedy to recommend?

A. I don't drink, but I've heard that if you take aspirin before you go drinking it helps with the hanger. Frankly, if you drink so much you get a hangover, you deserve it.

______________

I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however. 

8 comments:

  1. You were lucky to get your Camry.
    Oh my goodness on #5. I have never passed out.
    I agree on #6. This is me for sure.
    Have a good Saturday!
    https://gloriasretiredlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your answer about luck, the Camry is a great car

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband also does not listen when I tell him about something wrong with my car, but if it is his...he fixes it right away. I am so glad you were able to get a new Camry. Those cars are wonderful!
    I am not a fan of elevators either.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your car situation scares the bejesus out of me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A 2014 and less than 50,000 miles? Yowzers. My Camry is a 2015 and I have 77,000 on it...and that is really good for me. In the past we put a lot of miles on our cars. Tim still does. His truck will probably have close to 300,000 miles on it when it's paid off. I agree with you on #9. When I see classmates on Facebook still talking about how much drinking or partying they're doing my only thought is "Don't you feel crappy enough in the morning without adding to it?"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Geesh, getting stuck in your car sounds terrifying! My answer about caper movies was VERY similar!

    http://inmywords.kimdeister.com/2021/06/12/saturday-9-aint-that-a-kick-in-the-head/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you got out of your car! I had a Camry too and I love that car. But when baby three came, we needed a bigger car and got a Grand Caravan. After that we got a Highlander that I really liked. We had it for 13 years. Now we have a Kia. We saved a lot of miles on it during Covid! We are getting ready to go out tonight to an outside birthday party. Enjoy your Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. #8 -- It's like you were snapped by paparazzi!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.