Friday, June 11, 2021

Rock Lilies

 






Around these parts, we've always called these things rock lilies, but they're actually yucca plants, also known as Adam's Needles.  These are about 34 years old or older, as we dug them up from my parents' farm where they were growing alongside the road for no apparent reason.

My friend who grew up in the Shenandoah Valley called the century plants, which I'd never heard.

Each region names things a little differently sometime. As we become a homogenized planet, I glory in localisms like this one. It helps keep things unique.


2 comments:

  1. They are stunning. We have many types of Yucca here in 3, but I've not personally seen these. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only know them as yuccas but I prefer the term rock lily!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.