Sunday, April 18, 2021

Sunday Stealing


1. The best story your parents or grandparents tell about the good ole days.

A. This is a story my grandfather wrote. He sent me many stories through letters when I was in my 20s. These are his words.    
As I have stated previously, this was the summer of 1935.  Me and my sweet little Toots made a lot of love that summer.  We lived in two little rooms in the back of Grandmaw's house, and didn't have too much privacy.  So we would wander around through the woods and hills, pick flowers, mountain teaberrys, done whatever suited our fancy, and made love behind every rock, stump and bush on Deer Creek from Ermon's cabin to the Trimble School House. 
Of course, Toots got in the family way, which generally happens after such carryin' on, like Maw would say.  Once the word was out she was pregnant, everybody in the neighborhood started to count to see when she got that way -- before June 22, 1935, or after June 22, 1935.  That was the most arithmetic some of them old people had done in 40 years.  
Old Uncle Lee Trimble, who rode his horse by our house every Saturday morning going to the store and post office, would stop and ask me, "Son, has lil' Tootsie broke down yet?"  
He done that for eight months solid, and I'd say, "No sir, Uncle Lee, she ain't had it yet." 
And he would say, "Well, shi-eet.  I won't have anything to tell Maggie (that was his wife)" and ride on.  
I remember one time that summer, me and Sweetie Pie had been up on Deer Creek just kinda assin' around.  It was a nice warm day.  We found a place down below the Trimble School House where a lot of flowers and such was growing.  The woods was pretty dry.  We hadn't had any rain for about two weeks.  We laid down behind a log in the sun and after about a half hour of extra good love making, we dozed off.  We probably slept an hour.  
All at once I smelled smoke, and I raised up from behind that log to see what the hell was going on.  And low and behold, the whole damn woods was on fire and burning to beat hell.  I jerked on my britches and shoes and got Toots awake.  We had one little narrow place to get through and we made a run for the creek.  To this day I have never figured how them damn woods caught afire unless it was from that hot love making me and Toots had done.
 
2. The best things in life are . . .

A. found within the heart.

3. What are some things that drive you batty?

A. Hearing the former guy's voice, being interrupted when I'm playing my guitar, not being able to find something.

4. Name a place you'd like to live and why.

A. If I were to move, I'd stay in Virginia and maybe head to Charlottesville, which is a college town, and be in a less rural area now that I'm getting older. The only way I'd move would be if my husband were no longer with me, so I would need to be closer to people, I think. College towns appeal to me because they have lots of talks and learning opportunities.

5. What is the best thing you've ever found?

A. My husband.

6. What is the best thing that has happened recently?

A. The chiropractor helped my TMJ.

7. I admire people who . . .

A. follow their passions.

8. What makes you special?

A. I'm not special. I am empathetic, loyal, generous, intelligent, and creative, but I'm not special.

9. I am looking forward to . . .

A. getting my second Covid shot. I'm afraid it will make me ill, but so many people say the relief you feel, and the lessening of anxiety when you're in public is great, that I am ready for it, come what may.
 
10. What are things that scare you?

A. Being old and having no money to take care of my needs. Snakes. Spiders. Bad dreams.

11. What are some of the things you complain about?

A. Pollen.

12. I could never live without . . .

A. My husband.

13. Name things that make you laugh.

A. Monty Python & the Holy Grail, Alexa farting, my husband.
 
14. What is a new skill that you would like to learn?

A. I'd like to learn how to do more things with the Internet and computer.

15. What brightened your day today?

A. My husband went out for a while, and I had time to myself so I could answer these questions.

_______________

I encourage you to visit other participants in Sunday Stealing posts and leave a comment. Cheers to all us thieves who love memes, however we come by them.

6 comments:

  1. That's quite a story for a grandfather to tell his granddaughter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good chiropractor is a miracle worker! I'm so glad you found relief.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #9--I hope you have the mild reaction I had: a sore arm and being sleepy. You're right, I feel so much more hopeful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Monty Python and the Holy Grail is a crazy film - and hilarious. We love Monty Pyhton in the UK even after all of these years.

    :o)

    Cheers

    PM

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that this is the second comment but hey, why not?

    Alexa farts?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed the story you shared in # 1. My grandmother told me a few family stories in the short time she was alive. One , the murder of her brother was published in several papers and a true crime magizine. I also agree with # 2. The best things are always found in the heart.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.