Saturday, April 17, 2021

Saturday 9: Don't Rain on My Parade


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) Is rain expected where you are today?

A. Saturday's forecast is for lots of clouds and a high of 62 degrees and a low of 44 degrees. I'm not sure about rain but clouds bring rain.

2) In this song, Barbra Streisand warns everyone to not spoil her optimistic mood. What is something you're feeling really good about today?

A. I put new strings on an old guitar. One of my first guitars, actually. A beat up old Yamaha FG-150 that my grandfather gave to me.

3) She sings that life is candy and the sun is a ball of butter. Which have you consumed more recently, candy or butter?

A. Butter, I suppose. I haven't had candy in a while.

4) This song is from the musical Funny Girl. It's based on the true story of Fanny Brice, who starred on Broadway, in movies and on the radio between 1910 and 1951. At the beginning of her career, no one thought she would succeed because of her unconventional looks, but she forged ahead, saying, "I make things happen for me." Are you focused, like Fanny?

A. Not anymore. I was long ago but then I broke.

5) When the stage version of Funny Girl was in pre-production, the part of Fanny was offered to actress Anne Bancroft, but she felt the songs were too difficult for her. Singer Eydie Gorme dropped out when told her husband, Steve Lawrence, could not play the male lead. Carol Burnett said she'd love to do it, but also admitted she thought she was wrong for the role. Running out of time and options, producer Ray Stark decided to give lesser-known Barbra Streisand a try . . . and the rest, as they say, is history. Has there ever been a time in your life when you were glad things didn't work out as you'd originally planned?

A. Nothing comes to mind.

6) Funny Girl was the top grossing movie of 1968. #2 was 2001: A Space Odyssey. Given the choice, would you rather watch a musical or a sci-fi flick?

A. I would watch either, given the time and right company. If I am on my own and my choice was between those two movies, I'd probably go with #2.

7) Streisand's favorite color is burgundy because it reminds her of when, as a little girl, she received a hand-knitted sweater as a gift and wearing it made her feel special. What color is your favorite sweater?

A. Blue.

8) In 1960, she began performing in New York clubs but she had a hard time getting work because she was only 18 and most nightclubs wouldn't hire a girl not yet old enough to drink. Do you remember your first legal alcoholic beverage? What did you have?

A. I do not remember my first legal alcoholic beverage. I was drinking MD-2020 before I was of legal age. I think by the time I was of legal age, I'd decided to stop drinking anything alcoholic.

9) Random question: How many people know the real you?

A. My husband, maybe. But like most people, I am somebody different with each person I meet. We all have many facets to our personality and generally only show what we think will keep us in good standing with the other. Unless you're just a real prick and don't care. Then everyone knows you're a prick and that's probably the real you.

______________

I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however. 

13 comments:

  1. I learned how to play two songs on the guitar. My sister was taking lessons and she showed me. Leaving on a Jet Plane was one of them. Have you heard of Fender guitars and picks? The Fender visitor center was in my city. It closed around 2019 and our city holds parks and recreation there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MD-2020...I haven't thought of that in forever. That was really popular with the kids when I was in high school. I never liked it, though. Nasty stuff. It seems like most of us answered something similar on #9. Even if we aren't presenting ourselves a certain way to certain people, at best, most people only see a small bit of the total of who we are. Have a good weekend and make some beautiful music with those new strings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like our rain is set in for the day.
    I never could play the guitar but my dad could (brings back good memories).
    Have a blessed day.

    https://gloriasretiredlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Unless you're just a real prick and don't care." That made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your answer to #9! Happy Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had never heard of MD 2020 and had to look it up.

    Like everyone else, I loved your answer to #9

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your answer for #6 is right on... good company makes all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  8. MD2020--that stuff. LOL, worst hangover ever.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your answer to #9 is funny. You are right about people know us in different ways. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Boy did I want to learn the guitar as a kid. I told that to my ex and at Christmas she bought me a guitar. I had to eventually tell her that I wished I learned as a kid, but not now. I have so much arthritis in my hands - definitely not now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your answer to #9 was perfect. It is exactly what happens. We learn it as children, I think.
    And, I'd much rather see a SciFi than a Musical.
    Guitars. Glad you have your Grandpa's Guitar. Sweet! My Aunt would never let me have my grandpa's guitar, the one he played for all his little grandkids during the war. It eventually got stolen out of a shed, along with her portion of my great grandmother's silverware. She begged me to sell mine to her. Fsmilies! lol

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.