Saturday, March 27, 2021

Saturday 9: Fooled

 
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

Chosen because next week is April Fool's Day

1) Some believe that the practice of playing tricks on one another on April 1 dates back to the 14th century because it's mentioned in Chaucer's The Canterbury Tales. Geoffrey Chaucer is considered one of England's greatest poets. From memory, quote a bit of poetry for us. (It doesn't have to be English, or great.)

A. Half a league! Half a league! Half a league onward, into the valley of Death rode the six hundred! Cannons to the left of them, cannons to the right of them volleyed and thundered! Into the valley of Death rode the six hundred!

2) When Crazy Sam was a little girl, her mother would prank her on April Fool's Day by slipping a rubber worm or plastic spider in her lunch box. Did you/do you carry a lunchbox, either as a student or an adult?

A. I am sure I carried a lunchbox when I was in elementary school, but after that it was brown paper bags.

3) In 1998, Burger King got into the April Fool's Day fun by promoting a special "Left Handed Whopper," supposedly perfectly designed for a leftie to hold. Describe your perfect burger.

A. A bun, bacon, hamburger, lettuce, catsup, tomato, and a little bit of mustard and mayonnaise.

4) In this week's song, Barbara Mandrell sings that she followed her heart into her lover's arms. Are you more often led by your heart or head?

A. Apparently my heart although I prefer to think it is my head.

5) She knows now she was wrong for believing her man loved her. When did you recently admit you were wrong?

A. I don't know. I say "I'm sorry" like most people say, "How are you?" so it could have been anything. I apologize simply for breathing.

6) Barbara Mandrell recalls being able to read music before she could read words. Can you read sheet music?

A. I can but not well. I mostly play by ear.

7) Barbara had her own TV variety show in the 1980s and, in the 90s, acted on the daytime drama, Sunset Beach. The soap opera's producer, Aaron Spelling, was a huge fan of Barbara's and was thrilled to finally meet and work with her. Tell us about someone you really enjoyed working with, and why.

A. I enjoyed working with four women, Donna, Wendy, Angela, and Lois, in 2019 when I put together a magazine for the 250th anniversary of my county. They were great fun to deal with, and they had no doubt whatsoever that I would create a pleasing magazine keepsake for the community. It was nice to be believed in. They are very different personalities, but I enjoyed working with each one for the thoughts and inspiration they brought to the project.

8) In 1979, when this song was released, a top-of-the-line Sony Walkman sold for $150 (approx. $500 in today's dollars). Did you have a portable cassette player back in the day?

A. I don't recall having a Walkman, but I had a cassette player. It was "portable" in that you could carry it around but it was rather large.

9) Random question: What's the first thing you thought of when you woke up this morning?

A. I don't want to get out of this bed, but I have to pee.

______________

I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.
 

8 comments:

  1. #5 -- Me, too! A coworker never let me forget the time I apologized to the stool I bumped in the Xerox room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your answer for #1, I remember that from The Blindside movie.
    Seems there are several that have the same answer on #9.
    Have a nice Saturday.

    https://gloriasretiredlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's neat... putting together a magazine for your county's 250 anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand apologizing for breathing.

    I admire people who can play by ear. My father mostly played piano by ear. My kids play by ear (though Jeri can read music very well).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I oved your poem. It drew me in! I love your answer to #7! It IS nice to feel believed in. You are so talented. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was never much into poetry. This is ironic because I am a published poet, mostly in high school. But at our private school it was very hard to be published, but I did. Strange no? But of all I've studied "Into the valley of Death rode the six hundred" was my favorite...

    ReplyDelete
  7. My grandson watched You Tube videos on how to play the piano. Then he practices until he has it memorized. He is really good. I wish he could take lessons. My younger grand daughter is taking piano lessons. My grandson takes drum lessons. Have a happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.