Wednesday, March 03, 2021

More "Fun" with Dell

The new media card reader arrived last week, a day later than anticipated.

Dellcares on Twitter very helpfully wanted me to tear my computer apart long before the media card reader arrived, but I told them I would take it apart when the part arrived, and not before.

The UPS guy told me Dell sent me an empty box. Ha.

Before I continue, I will note that I have been in the innards of my computers before. I've added ram, changed out hard drives, and installed graphic cards.

Always before, though, these weren't brand new computers still under warranty.

So I unhooked all the wires and plugs, and carried the computer into the kitchen. I laid it flat on the table, and proceeded to unscrew the left side so I could get into the thing.

The left side came off. The media card reader was on the right side, of course.

After attempting in vain to remove it without removing anything else, I ended up unscrewing the hard drive to make room.

I replaced the media card reader, reinstalled the hard drive, and put the side back on.

The media card reader works - sort of.

It's very difficult to get an SD card in and out of the computer. The slot in the case is too tight. I will use an external card reader after all.

Basically I went through all of that for nothing.

Dell, in the meantime, was very unapologetic about the entire affair. I had to return the old part "or your warranty will be voided" and I am fairly sure I won't be buying another Dell. I've had Dells for about 20 years and they've been decent computers, but this one is cheaply made and if I'd seen it on the shelf, I think I would have passed on it. 

This is why some things should not be purchased online.

I found in my purchasing information an email address from the salesperson. He had told me to write if I had any problems, so I wrote him a rather scathing indictment of his computer and the customer service department.

That was last week, and I have not received a response.

I don't expect I will.


3 comments:

  1. This whole experience I’m sure, takes from any enjoyment you had about getting a new computer. I hope that the reader is the only problem you encounter for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sure have gone through a lot with your computer. I had to try times with mine and end up getting a new hard drive and it works really well. They just don't make things like they use to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I decided about 5 years ago to stay away from Dell; they used to be my first choice.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.