Saturday, August 22, 2020

Saturday 9: I See Love

Saturday 9: I See Love (2010)

(Which is much better than seeing dead people)

Unfamiliar with this week's song. Hear it here.

1) This is the theme from Mike and Molly, a TV show that ran from 2010 to 2016. Were you a fan?

A. I have never seen the show.

2) Molly was played by Melissa McCarthy. Today she's one of Hollywood's best-paid actresses, but when she began her career, she was barely scraping by. She recently recalled the time when, as a struggling actress, she was rejected at the ATM because it only gave out $20s and she didn't have even that much in her checking account. How often do you visit the ATM? Several times a week? Several times a month? Never?

A. Maybe three times a year.

3) When she was broke, Melissa couldn't afford blueberries and avocados.  Now she savors them. When you're a few bucks ahead, what do you splurge on?

A. Books.

4) Mike was played by Billy Gardell. He was working at a comedy club, cleaning the bathrooms and answering the phone. He used to crack jokes with other employees and finally one of his coworkers dared him to go onstage on "open mic night." A comedy career was born. Tell us about someone who pushed you to make the right move.

A. My English professor at the community college was instrumental in pushing me to go on after my bachelor's degree. I earned an associates' there and transferred. She said I had a talent that should not be wasted. She thought I could be another Lee Smith if I applied myself. Obviously, I did not go in that direction, choosing instead to write for newspapers. I suppose it is not too late.

5) On the show, Mike's best friend was his fellow officer, Carl McMillan. Carl was not especially motivated and still lived with his grandmother, well into his 30s. How old were you when you moved out of the house for good?

A. I was 20. I lived at home until I married.

6) Mike's and Molly's mothers are different as night and day and frequently did not get along. Have you ever had in-law trouble?

A. Not really, no.

7) This week's song was written by Keb Mo. He switches among several different guitars when he works -- electric, acoustic and resonator. Can you play guitar?

A. I can! And do. You can go to the "music" label and see videos of me playing. I have been posting one on Tuesdays this summer.

8) In 2010, when this show premiered, Apple introduced the iPad. Do you use a tablet?

A. I have a Kindle HD tablet, but I don't do any work on it or have Facebook on it, or anything like that. I have one game and lots of books on it. I do all of my work on a desktop.

9) This week's random question gives you an opportunity to brag: What's something you do better than most people?

A. I'm not very good at bragging. I write well. I don't know that I do it better "than most people" but better than some. I take decent pictures, but I do not consider myself a professional photographer even though I've published and been paid for at least 1,000 pictures. I have always considered myself a "Jill of all trades," meaning I do a lot of things sort of well. I am loyal and forgiving although I do have my "time to stop" point. I try to be a nice, kind, decent human being. Really, isn't that the most important thing?
______________
I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however. 

9 comments:

  1. I am like you, loyal and forgiving and have learned to let go, even a friendship. Happy Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice that your marriage has been free of in-law strife. (And I thought of that guitar question as a nice softball to you.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are what one of my journalism professors said a journalist had to be...someone who knows a bit about everything, but is an expert at none. Jill-of-all-trades is good way to sum it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jill of all trades, that can be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I figure most people don't know how to teach so I said I was better than most at teaching. I wouldn't know how to write a variety of article for a news outlet so to me you're better than most people at it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful your teacher encouraged you the way she did! You really are a good writer and yes, you can always write that novel if it strikes you! You have a lot of talents. That is awesome. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I watch your videos, and I like the "Hallelujah.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You do write well. And not a lot of people can do that...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree, you write very well and are very kind. A Jill of all trades is not a bad thing and sometimes it is what makes life and you interesting to yourself and others. I sometimes think my niche’ in life is wrong decisions but then again; I tell myself ,” At least I’m making my own decisions... good, bad,happy or not they are mine. If I fail or falter I will always forgive and start new. Starting fresh isn’t the worst thing to do and sometimes you do them even better! “

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.