Saturday, July 18, 2020

Saturday 9: Flipper

Saturday 9: Flipper (1964)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) Flipper ran for three seasons, from 1964 to 1967. Are you familiar with the show? Were you a fan?

A. I am familiar with the show and probably watched it, but I don't remember much about it.

2) Brothers Sandy and Bud consider a bottle-nosed dolphin, named Flipper, their pet. Do you currently share your home with any animals?

A. Just the bugs and spiders that come in uninvited.

3) Bud and Sandy's dad was Chief Warden Porter Ricks of the fictional Coral Key Marine Preserve. In reality, the show was filmed in Miami and Key Biscayne. When were you last in the ocean? Which ocean was it?

A. I was last in the Atlantic Ocean, last year.

4) There was no one single "Flipper." In close-ups, the role was played by a dolphin named Susie. While Susie was good at interacting with people, she had trouble with stunts, and sometimes a male dolphin named Clown was brought in for action sequences. Do you consider yourself more social, like Susie? Or are you more athletic, like Clown?

A. I think I'm more like a hermit crab.

5) Without looking it up, do you know the difference between a dolphin and a porpoise?

A. It has something to do with the nose.

6) Flipper wasn't just a TV pet. He was an industry! During the show's run, Flipper comic books, coloring books and puzzles were very popular. As an adult, do you entertain yourself by reading comics, coloring, or completing jigsaw puzzles?

A. I do jigsaw puzzles on the computer and I color sometimes, though I haven't in a while.

7) The Flipper lunchbox was also a big seller. It came with a Thermos topped with a red cup. Do you own a Thermos?

A. I think there's one around here someplace.

8) In 1964, when Flipper premiered, it was up against The Outer Limits and The Jackie Gleason Show. If those were your only viewing choices, would you watch the family show about the dolphin, the sci-fi anthology show, or the comedy-variety show? (Or would you rather flip through a magazine?)

A. I'd watch The Outer Limits, though I have never heard of it. I'd rather read if the show turned out to be poor.

9) Random question  -- Which would you be more comfortable explaining: how a car engine works, the current IRS tax brackets, or the rules of baseball?

A. I think I'd be more comfortable trying to explain how the cow jumped over the moon than any of those things.

______________
I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.

10 comments:

  1. I didn't know you could do puzzles on screen. It makes sense, but I'd never heard of it before. My cat Reynaldo can't send the pieces flying if it's a virtual puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your answers today.
    Loved your answers to #2 and #4. Made me LOL.
    Have a good Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, most definitely a hermit crab! Especially now with the virus going around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Outer Limits was a lot like Twilight Zone. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the outer limits was creepy with creepy music that haunted me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am more of a hermit crab too.
    I love your answer to #9, so funny! Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hermit crab is an excellent choice--I am firmly in that camp.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree the choices on #9 were lousy in word. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think The Outer Limits is modeled after The Twilight Zone, bit I’m not 100% certain. I’m also a hermit crab:)

    ReplyDelete