Saturday, March 14, 2020

Saturday 9: I'll Take You Home Again

Saturday 9: I'll Take You Home Again, Kathleen (1975)

(Chosen because St. Patrick's Day is Tuesday.)

 
Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it here.


1) This week's song is widely considered a traditional Irish ballad. Are you of Irish descent?

A. I always thought I was on my father's side, but my brother took one of those DNA tests, and it came back 53% Great Britain and only l3% Irish/Scotland/Wales. So I'm a little Irish but apparently more British.

2) It's a song from a groom to his homesick bride. Who did you most recently serenade? (Yes, "Happy Birthday" counts.)

A. My husband listened to me singing while I was practicing my guitar.

3) Kathleen considers "home" her mother's cottage. How about you? Is "home" where you live now, or is it where you grew up?

A. Home is where I live now.

4) St. Patrick is credited with driving snakes out of Ireland, and to this day the Irish report there are no snakes on their land. Ophiophobia is the fear of snakes. Do you suffer from ophiophobia?

A. Yes, and the darned things are already out crawling around. My mother-in-law ran over one with the car the other day. She ran over it 7 times.

5) Irish Americans held the first St. Patrick's Day parade on our shores in New York City in 1766. Does your town host a St. Patrick's Day parade?

A. The parade has been cancelled due to the Corona virus, but yes, the nearest city has a St. Patrick's Day parade.

6) Leprechauns are a symbol of St. Patrick's Day. These small Irish fairies are said to live in the forest, guarding their gold. Do you more often wear silver or gold?

A. I lean toward white gold or silver.

7) The signature color of St. Patrick's Day is green. Will you wear green next Tuesday?

A. If I remember.

8) This week's featured artist, Elvis, was the idol of millions. But not the Songfellows. In the early 1950s, a young Elvis auditioned for this gospel group and they refused him. Just as well, as the King of Rock 'n Roll did rather well for himself as a solo. Like Elvis, did you ever interview for a job that you didn't get?

A. Yes, several times. Once I interviewed for some kind of advertising position, I can't remember exactly what now since it was about 35 years ago. I'd typed my resume on a typewriter because we didn't have word processors then. Near the end of my resume, there was a typographical error I'd missed. The company managers called me in for an interview but then said they couldn't understand how I could be so credentialed but have this typo. I didn't know what to say, so I said something really stupid. I said, "I leave it there to see if prospective employers catch it, because I don't want to work for people who can't see the error." Or something along those lines. I did not get the job. I'm not sure what would have been a better answer. Maybe just admitting I was in a hurry?

9) Random question: Do you believe women are more emotional than men?

A. After the travesties we've seen with the politicians weeping and gnashing their teeth in recent years, crying because they felt they were entitled to be a Supreme Court Justice or sobbing because people are so mean to their beloved president? Hell no. Men are whiny little babies.

______________
I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.

8 comments:

  1. I believe that your answer to the prospective employer was perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If they ever held a St. Patrick parade in town they probably wouldn't have to cancel it because there would be less than 250 attending it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #9 -- Good point, when you consider Dr. Ford vs. Justice Kavanaugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 7 times DELIBERATELY?

    Loved your answer to the employer. Should have given you points for originality!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your answer to #9, and so true!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that your mom ran over that snake 7 times! I hate those things. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend!

    http://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bahahahaha! Your mother-in-law is my hero! I hate snakes, but I won't run over one because in my phobic mind I'm afraid if I do, it will somehow stick to my tire and when it gets to the top, manage to end up in the car with me. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.